Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what to look for in a new router

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

I posted in a thread that I had started earlier this year here but thought I'd just start a new thread since it seems I need a new router.

I have no idea what to look for in a new router so any help that I can get would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Linksys router currently and if you read the above linked thread you'll see it appears that it's starting to fail? so I thought I'd gather up information so I can buy a new one soon. 

thank you!!

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2014 - 09:47 AM.
Moved from Networking to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

I just saw the pinned topic at the top of this forum.  I am not at home so can't supply the information.  I will do that later tonight.

but hoping some here can give me ideas on what to look for when I look for a new router.

thanks!

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

I guess the real question is what do you need your router to do?

What wireless do you need?  A/B/G/N/AC?

Do you need a guest wireless network?

What speed wired ports do you need?

Do you need to be able to install a different firmware?

Do you need USB support for a printer or drive?

How much are you looking to pay?

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

I was just reading about all that stuff Kilroy....

This would be for my home that supports several devices: 4 wireless laptops, 3 smart phones and one wireless printer.  We're not big gamers but one of us does watch TV shows via some website (my teenager, not me. that's why I don't know what website it is) and a bunch of youtube videos. I have Linksys right now but thinking of switching to NetGear not for any particular reason, just that it would be different and it's a name that gets good reviews. guessing Linksys does too.

I'd rather not spend over $100. After a brief search I found a NetGear N750 wireless dual band router WNDR4300 for $99 so wondering if that is sufficient for my needs.  but also wondering if a $50-$70 router would be good enough too.

thanks for your help!!

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Linksys has switched hands over the years.  It was purchased by Cisco and then sold the brand to Belkin.  You can spend as much or as little as you want on a router.  You can pick up a ZyXEL router for any where from $20 on up, depending on the features you want.    It doesn't sound like you have any special needs, so a router that will provide the wireless need for much less than $100.

Here are two of the ZyXEL routers:

ZyXEL NBG418N Wireless N Home Router = $21.99

ZyXEL NBG416n 150 Mbps Wireless N Router w/High Gain Antenna - $19.99

There are more expensive routers out there, but either of these should work for you.  I've found the ZyXEL routers are easy to configure.  I'm currently using one as an access point in my bedroom.

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

thanks Kilroy! I take it you've purchased from Rakuten before? I've never heard of it but yea, those prices are hard to beat!! I see that it's a "google trusted store" which I guess is good?

and right, no real special needs. I just need to stop disconnecting from the internet so often (about 7-10 times a week) and for it to not lose my secure network!! I did find stuff via googling to help me re-set up a secure network with my current Linksys router until I get the new one. hopefully that goes okay...

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Rakuten used to be Buy.com.  Yes, I have purchased from them before.  My first purchase with them was in 2009 and my last January this year.  If you have an account with Ebates you can get up to 6% cash back.  I bought my ZyXEL NBG418N Wireless N Home Router from them last November.

I purchased the ZyXEL because my router was dropping wireless a few times a day.  Going to the setup and just saving it brought it back, but it was a pain.  So, I added the ZyXEL as an AP so that when the main wireless dropped you could use the ZyXEL.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

If you haven't purchased yet New Egg has a TRENDnet TEW-711BR N150 Wireless Home Router for $4.99 after $10 rebate.  I don't have an opinion on this router, but for $5 it couldn't hurt to have as a back up.

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

I haven't purchased yet and I think I'm going to hold off.  because I got my secure network back(I re-enabled funky working current router) and now I have notes on how to do this when it happens again. I think I'll wait until it completely dies to buy a new one.  thanks for the info tho :)

Edited by tobyo, 01 August 2014 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users