Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot up results in blank screen with repetitive pings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 samtex

samtex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

Booting up with hmdi monitor, windows activates but does not display on monitor.  

Result is blank screen with repetitive pings.  I suspect defective cable, and checking for secure  connectors to both monitor and computer there is still a blank screen an d repetitive pinging sound and eventually after some time later the windows login screen is displayed.

Hybernation was disabled, but when leaving computer on for extended periods it still indicates the computer is hybernating.  Screen saver is activated the computer still slips into hybernation.  Running HP Pavilion Elite e9240f.  Could this be a monitor problem, syncMaster 2220wm -- or a cable problem?  This computer was doing the same before installing a new boot drive and continues to do it now.  The reason I am inclined to think that the problem is a monitor problem or cable problem is that the sounds of activating windows log in screen is also heard when monitor displays black screen. The hdmi cable connecion on borh ends are locked and secure.  Plan is to replace cable first, next to test on a different monitor.  Cannot think of anything else to do.  I am curious if anyone else has encountered this problem..especially with the repetitive pings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

When you say pings, does the computer beep? That's usually an indication of a major hardware issue: the CPU, the RAM or the video card is malfunctioning. More on HP beep codes here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07107&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4006029#N414

Are you using the built-in HDMI adapter on the motherboard? If there are other video output ports on your computer, try using one of those. Or, install a new video card and driver and see if that resolves the issue.

#3 samtex

samtex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for your response.

The pings are not recognized error codes as the ping is regular like a heartbeat and sometimes accelerate when using alt+tab enough times or scroll with the mouse.. I am taking your advice about replacing the video card as I have also attached  standard vga cable  with the same result.  Have yet to test with different monitor however.  

Another search response suggested resetting the monitor by removing power for 20 seconds.  That did not work.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Is the pinging noise coming through the speakers, or from inside the case? It could be the hard drive, or perhaps the fan. You might want to have a look inside to see what's going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users