Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tons of issues after ChkDsk

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zuuzee

Zuuzee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

This problem is regarding my Gaming Rig. I am posting this through my work-related computer. As a Steam addict, I would be grateful if someone replied soon, since this computer can barely run Half-Life 1.

So here's the issue. My computer had some issues when shutting down several times, some kinds of errors but they didn't stop it from shutting down. They didn't happen all that often, just every once in a while, and there very but a few. Then suddenly it asked for a chkdsk at startup, which I stopped because I've read somewhere they can cause problems recently. I've always let it check everything before tho and no issues. Now, upon startup, I ran a scan with AVG Antivirus (trial version), Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware just to make sure that there wasn't some type of malware causing the chkdsk to go on. I regularly run scans, only use one real-time scanner, and I keep all my definitions up to date, so I am pretty sure it is not malware related. After a long day of gaming I shut it down and today when I woke up, I turned it on but let it startup on its own while I did some stuff. When I came back the ChkDsk was already finishing up whatever it was doing and it was too late to stop it. The computer then started up and this is where the problem really starts.

First of all, my resolution which is usually a crisp looking 1920x1080 on my HD monitor turned to 800x600. I immediately went to display options but the highest resolution I could pick was 1400x1000 or something like that. I tried to go online to try and check for such an issue but imagine my surprise when the internet connection was no longer working. And my Steam is set up in a way that it doesn't allow offline gameplay in order to improve security. So I try to fix the connection, nothing works. I went to system restore and there was a restore point from two days ago when I updated my Paint.NET so I tried to restore it there. Once restores, an error appears saying the restore was unsuccessful and that nothing was changed. Now I remember some people saying that you need to reinstall your Windows to fix chkdsk problems. Here's my issue with that. My gaming rig's external drive, the one for disks and the like, became damaged earlier this year, which wasn't really a problem because all the programs I installed were downloaded from the Internet, and I used Steam to install my games. So I cannot use my Windows 7 disk to reinstall my 64-bit windows.

I honestly have no idea what to do here. Getting professional assistance or having the drive fixed is kind of not an option at this point, money is short, I couldn't afford having it fixed right now. I do however have a USB. It can only hold up to four GigaBytes tho, so I'm not sure how that could help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

The suggestion to run chkdsk usually is an indication of a problem with the hdd.

I would suggest downloading the hdd manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run it.

Who is the manufacturer of this hdd?

If there are no problems found with the hdd I would suggest running sfc.  Do run the hdd diagnostic first, this is important.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search programs and files box. 

cmd will appear above the search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  This will look simlare to the image above.

Copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Zuuzee

Zuuzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

Thank you very much, I will do this the first chance I get using my USB since I cannot connect to the internet from that computer.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

Would you mind PM'ing me the links of wherever you read that Chkdsk can cause problems?

Also, are the video drivers working? that resolution range sounds like win 7's default driver to me.

Is it connected to the internet via WiFi or Ethernet?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

Datcoolguy

If the hard drive is failing the extra read/writes on the disk by performing chkdsk could be the last ones... the ones you should have used to save personal data.

This is not to be taken out of context, the process itself is not destructive.

Edited by TsVk!, 31 July 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Would you mind PM'ing me the links of wherever you read that Chkdsk can cause problems?

When you run chkdsk /f or /r repairs can be made and data recovered from bad sectors.  These repairs change the file allocation table which in some cases can cause a loss of data.  In most cases where there is a loss of data there is a problem with the hdd.  

If you would like to read more about this go to the Microsoft Windows website and read the article there.

Edited by dc3, 01 August 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

Alright, got it, never tought about it putting a strain on a maybe dying system. Either way, back on topic now.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#9 Zuuzee

Zuuzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:16 AM

Several strange things happened. Firstly, when I turned the computer on, the resolution fixed itself. It is 1920x1080 again. I went to check the hdd manufacturer but all I found were serial numbers which didn't show up in google searches. The internet connection didn't work and some of my antivirus programs became corrupted, I started a scan with one of them which worked tho and it didn't find any viruses.  Note that they are not real-time scanners, I have only one of those and the subscription went out just now and I cannot connect to the internet to renew it. So I thought as long as so many things seem to be strange, why not try and put that Windows 7 installation disk I've bought a long time ago in and see if it will work. I mean the disk drive doesn't work but it doesn't hurt to try. And guess what? The disk drive works. I have no idea how. It just does. I am installing a fresh version of windows, not upgrading, so it gets all the good files in without keeping the possibly corrupt settings or programs from before. I hope it works. I will reply here how it goes.

Edited by Zuuzee, 02 August 2014 - 03:17 AM.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

ok... wow.

Do let us know.

#11 Zuuzee

Zuuzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

I made a fresh installation of Windows 7 64-bit, got all the drivers I needed from discs I got when purchasing the computer and various electronics, everything works. Downloaded Chrome, Steam, Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, doing Windows Updates, already personalized everything. Everything functions. The computer is actually a lot faster than it was before, probably because of all the stuff that clotted up over the years, even if I did clean it often. Thank's for your suggestions everyone!

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Good stuff

Thanks for letting us know.

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic