Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP PC won't read mouse or keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mycasa2ucasa

mycasa2ucasa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:16 AM

My son hit the power button on my PC while I was working with my internet company to diagnose a connection problem with Xbox live. When it rebooted, the tower powered up, but it would not read the keyboard or mouse. The monitor fires, but goes directly into sleep mode. I moved the keyboard and mouse to the P2 usb ports, still nothing. Keyboard and mouse worked fine when I connected them to a laptop. Operating system is Windows Vista. What the heck is going on?!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:32 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemodevista.html .

#3 mycasa2ucasa

mycasa2ucasa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

Nope. I have tried F10 at startup but it still won't read the keyboard.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:31 AM

1. Unplug the tower and leave it unplugged for 5 min., then plug it back in and try it.

2. If #1 doesn't work, then open up the PC and look for obvious burn scorches and a strong ozone smell. If you don't see anything obviously burnt, then do this; Reseat all connectors coming out of the PSU going to the MB, and any video card power plugs, and any optical drives, etc. Make sure that the PSU doesn't have a Reset button popped.  Now try the PC again. The above procedure should be done with/by someone familiar with working on PCs. BE CAREFUL... there are shock hazards and some hardware can be broken with too much force!!

3. Let me know what happened, then we'll continue.

#5 mycasa2ucasa

mycasa2ucasa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Elfbane, you rock! Worked like a charm! Can't thank you enough!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users