Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless network adapter keeps shutting off

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 onedear

onedear

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

This has been going on for a while but it's been a few weeks since it got more and more frequent.

I will be using the internet during the evening and it will disconnect. I do the repair, and it connects back fine. Then it won't work and I have to reset the computer and turn wireless on. I have done the "uncheck power settings" in the adapter properties, and this still happens. I try to update the driver but it says I have the most recent(!)

My computer is Asus K501 (or K50I its hard to tell) laptop, running Win 7 64bit, and the adapter is a Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter. I don't know if I'm missing something or the adapter is FUBAR :\

thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

onedear, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Here is the latest drivers for your wireless chipset, released in February 2014. It's a zip file, both 32 & 64 bit is included. Extract the folder, open Device Manager & choose to Update Driver, point it towards the folder that was unzipped & it should update. It may open another page, just click Download. 

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=81&system=6%20%20http://

I've grabbed Atheros drivers from this site several times with no issues. 

Hope this helps!

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 31 July 2014 - 01:52 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 onedear

onedear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

Seems to work so far - now it says "Qualcomm Atheros" driver, is that correct?

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:18 AM

Yes, it was renamed that sometime in 2012. Used to be just Atheros. 

It was when I upgraded to Windows 8 in late 2012 that I first noticed the "Qualcomm" added to it. Before I linked it to you, I checked for your model, it was among the many listed. Seems like the same driver is used for lots of wireless chipsets. 

The main thing is, that it works for you. If so, then we're both happy. Please let us know (in this same Topic) if there's any more issues as to this adapter. And be sure to copy the drivers to a Flash drive, or upload it to OpenDrive, or Google Drive, so that you'll have it in the future. 

Good Luck & always feel free to come back to BC Forums & participate. :)

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 onedear

onedear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Unfortunately, last night the wireless adapter shut off again and I had to reset. I have updated my driver as cat1092 mentioned.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Subject to any opinion Cat may express, this could be a hardware problem as opposed to a driver (software) problem. The wireless units in laptops can fail and the simplest - and cheapest - solution is to use a USB wi-fi dongle. These look like a USB memory stick and fit into any one of the USB sockets on the computer. If you can't borrow one from a friend (plus the driver CD) for an evening they are not expensive. In the UK, they start at about £ 15 and upwards, so I imagine they would be available for about $US 20.

I use one permanently on my desktop and have a spare laptop lying around which only works with a dongle.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Like Chris has stated, this could be indeed a hardware issue & is appearing as such, it could be that the supplied drivers temporarily restored the device to semi working condition, but the same issue has returned. Yes these wireless units fails for varying reasons, as evidenced by the high numbers of used (& sometimes new) replacements sold on online auctions such as eBay, or other sources such Amazon & Newegg. 

I'm sorry to hear that the wireless card is causing further problems. 

Fortunately, this doesn't have to be an expensive issue to fix. As Chris stated, there are several brands to choose from in the $20 range, though I suggest not to go too cheap (you get what you pay for). The ones for less than $12 or so, in general, aren't worth the time of day, will often run hot after a few minutes of use & Internet connection will be very flaky. Make certain to obtain one that's designed for Windows 7 or higher. TrendNET is a brand I suggest you avoid (regardless of price), many who has purchased these has posted negative reviews & there has been at least a couple of recent Topics where the issue was an overheating one of the brand. 

ASUS is a decent brand with much everything the corporations builds, ALFA is another known good one, so is BUFFALO. Here's a well reviewed one of that brand on promo. No recent negative reviews. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162032

And several ASUS models. It's best to ignore any refurbished ones listed. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010074%20%20600014288%2050001315&IsNodeId=1

I would have linked an ALFA, but the ones on the Newegg site are from 3rd party sellers, haven't had good experience with the couple of "First from Asia" deals on the site that was purchased. There are many Non-Genuine clones of these available, the best way to obtain this brand are from authorized dealers. This greatly reduces the risk of getting burned. 

One other thing, the ones as small as a wireless mouse receiver are best to avoid. The chipset is right there against the computer, where there's going to be more heat. Even wireless mice receivers gets hot sometimes & not perform as well on some computers, one reason why mine is plugged into a hub on one of my notebooks. 

If this were my notebook, having found this manual (assuming it's the same one as yours), I'd replace it with the original or compatible one, access is easy peasy on this model, total of 5 screws to remove to open. Immediate access to the wireless card. Being that the ones of this model I've found are Intel based, I'm kind of stumped on why they didn't include an Intel wireless card. Maybe to save a few dollars or to keep the model under a certain price range. 

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-asus-k-series-notebook/

Keep in mind, I have some experience on replacing these parts, and realize that some doesn't. Many are much harder to access, that's for certain. 

One last thing I'd like you to try, if you haven't already. Does your notebook have the Power4Gear eXtreme option (Fn+Space Bar)? I ask because some of these power saving modes directly affects wireless performance. If set to maximize battery life, this will impede wireless performance & other things too. Here is the manual (Page 38) for your review, or you may want to check your own manual or go to the ASUS site for your documentation (which may be the same as below). This is an 11th hour shot in desperation, but I still say to check this setting out. Even if you replace yours with a USB one, performance won't be as good in these power saving modes. Because I run SSD's in my main computers, these are tuned to High Performance, regardless of battery or AC mode. 

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/K50IJ/Manual/248199

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 August 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#8 onedear

onedear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Cat, how hard would you say it is to put in a network card? I have never installed anything inside a computer, but I wouldn't mind trying if it wasn't hard.

Is this one I could get, for example? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3SD1JN5652

If its really complicated, I could just get a dongle lol

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:15 AM

If you follow the simple instructions listed & be sure to remove all power, both the AC cord & battery, plus be sure not to work on a carpeted surface, you can replace it. After you remove the cover & battery by following the simple instructions & photos (this person done a great job), there's only 2 screws holding your network card in. Plus 2 small wires, you have to really be careful when removing these to avoid damage. Plus when removing the lid, be easy & just wiggle, don't force it off. 

If you want, you can simply try removing the lid anytime you wish, just to see how it goes for you before purchasing anything. That way, you'll know before you spend anything. 

What you need to do though, to ensure compatibility, as I cannot guarantee this, is go onto ASUS forum & see that network card is a compatible replacement. Yes I suggest Intel over Atheros, just found out by working with you & another member on this similar issue, that the Dell 1703 wireless & BT4.0+HS is an Atheros card. The more pricier XPS 8700 models shipped with an Intel 6235 wireless & BT card. I'd be willing to bet anything that if I upgraded my Windows 8 install to 8.1, would have troubles too. 

But you really need to ensure that card is compatible with your computer. Because by the time you purchase it & have to pay yourself to send it back, may as well eat the loss & go on. 

If you feel up to the task, that's what I suggest & it's really not that hard, if you simply take your time. I just want to make sure you get the right card that will work with your computer, some brands, such as IBM, locks out basic Intel cards to force the purchase of their SKU's (their rebranded Intel cards with custom firmware). The drivers, you'll need to get from Intel. 

So I take it the Power2Gear eXtreme option didn't work? 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 August 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:24 AM

onedear, please don't feel like I'm trying to pressure into something that may be above your head. 

In the case you're having issues with sliding the cover off, which as stated I feel you should try first, go ahead & grab a USB wireless dongle. 

At this price & the solid reviews, plus the good Buffalo name, I don't see you going wrong with the one posted above, am reposting now. These probably won't last long at this price. Plus Newegg stands behind what they sell, so does the OEM, Buffalo, for 3 years. That is a good warranty for this type of product & there's Windows 7 drivers included. If I needed such a card, wouldn't hesitate to purchase. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162032

I've been trying to find a compatible internal card & am having some difficulties is doing so. Sometimes, it can be tricky cross matching Atheros & Intel cards, unless you can see where someone has on a given model. The reason I know about the one on my Dell, is the site shows both as an option. 

Plus, I'm skeptical about these "First from Asia" orders. I told you that about the ALFA models above. Been burned twice, won't go for three times. 

Cat

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

I have never heard of the Buffalo brand - they are either not available in the UK or branded as another name. This is one of the joys of international trade !

Netgear and Sitecom are other other reputable brands of USB dongle, I use both.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

But for the love of god, never get a trendnet, even when it doesn't overheat and works, it's still a subpar experience.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#13 TomH49

TomH49

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

What anti-virus are you using? I have seen "Avast" turn off the wireless adapter after updating.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

There was another Topic in the last few days where AVG, for whatever reason, wouldn't allow the OP to connect to a preferred AP. Check out Post #15. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542054/can-connect-to-all-wifi-points-but-one/

Cat

#15 onedear

onedear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'm sure this might have something to do with it, but in my house, we use a wireless booster that plugs into the wall. The outlet it is currently plugged into, sometimes flashes yellow/red instead of green, but I have my Nintendo 3DS on it, and I haven't had any problems with it dropping, nor my Xbox. I haven't heard any other problems from anyone else either.

I just might buy the dongle to make things easier, but I just want to cover all possible angles first. If I do get the dongle, will the computer automatically switch to using the dongle instead of attempting to use wireless, or would I have to shut off wireless capability?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users