Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Untimate - Goes to memory dump

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 prasannah.ganeshan

prasannah.ganeshan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

Hi there,

I have been from recent times experiencing some weird stuff with my laptop.

I all started with a disk checkup message at the start up, one thing I found very unusual to other disk check messages was that it wasn't mentioning any disk drive/partition from the hard disk. I have attached a photo that I took from my phone.

For a while I have been trying to let the disk check run through, but it never was conclusive as it would happen normally when there was an unexpected shut down or something. This will never end and machine will get stand still. Then use the power button.

From last week, I started getting a memory dump message. This was the usual blue screen that we see on windows machines. I started to look closely the pattern in which it comes. I'm suspecting it to be Skype, every time I start running Skype I get this. I even tried to uninstall the program and re-install, and on machine start up I get the memory dump again. Probably because by default Skype is set to on login to system so I am suspecting it's because of that.

Could someone please help me on this? I would like to get a solution to this before it could end up in a bigger problem.

Regards,

Prasannah

Attached File  2014-07-15 10.42.05.jpg   112.56KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2014-07-31 12.05.25.jpg   75.61KB   0 downloads

Edited by prasannah.ganeshan, 31 July 2014 - 01:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

Prasannah, Welcome to BC Forums!  :)

So this wasn't an issue when Skype wasn't on the computer? Then what we need to do is disable it from running at Startup & see what happens. 

Click the Start button, type "msconfig" w/out the quotes, it should show in no time. Right click & choose to Run As Administrator. There should be a Startup tab. Click onto that. Go through the list & when you find Skype, uncheck the box. This keeps it from loading at boot. Click Apply & OK, you'll probably be prompted to restart your computer to make the change. Go ahead & do it. 

If you're still having these issues, it may not be Skype. 

But it's a starting point. Let us know how it goes.  :thumbup2:

Best of Luck, 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

The "system reserved partition is just that, a partition created by windows when insstalled, and since it is supossed to be hidden there's no letter assigned to it. Care to atleast give us the STOP code of the Blue screens?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

The last time that I seen anything like that was looking at a computer where Glary Utilities Pro had been installed. Some junk from Giveaway of the Day that caused boot time defrags, which later led to disk checking every time the computer booted. Fortunately, that person had a backup that was recent & before the Glary install, things went back to normal. 

Not saying it's impossible, but have never seen Skype leave a computer in this condition. 

It's now been 22 hours since the OP created this Topic, hopefully will return to get this resolved. I waited about 20 minutes after my initial response to see if the OP had tried what was suggested, then called it a night, as by then it was 3:30AM local time. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 prasannah.ganeshan

prasannah.ganeshan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hi Cat,

I have not been checking the forum. Had some emergency at homefront which kept me away form it. Let me try your advice tomorrow and report. Actually by this time I had removed skype from my system.

I could try and install it again and see if you insist. I will wait for your next reply before act by myself. I think that is sensible.

I query acutally had two problems

1. Being, the blue screen when trying to use skype.

2.. Disk check everytime I boot the machine. (screen shots attahced is for this problem).

Hope I didn't confuse you putting all in one inquiry. I will wait for your reply before installing skype again to see if I get the blue screen. Let me know.

Regards,

Prasannah

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

If removing Skype eliminates the issue, though I haven't heard of the app causing this to happen, then your issue "may" be solved. 

My suspicions are file corruption or infection, or the computer doesn't meet the specs to run Skype. Though I would think that a Windows 7 powered computer, if installed from the OEM, more than meets the requirements, even netbooks with the Starter version. The netbooks of course wouldn't perform as well, but you should get the picture. 

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10328/what-are-the-system-requirements-for-skype

Before you attempt to reinstall Skype, lets take a look at your computer, if you don't mind, with a Speccy snapshot. None of your personal details, nor some of the things you see on your end, such as the Windows COA (your license key) & IP address. These will not be shown or random data generated for forum posting, for your protection. 

So, if you wish to, here is how to post a Speccy snapshot is easy to understand detail. 

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

====================

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

speccyq.png

• Now, at the top, click File Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
publish.png

• Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

copydi.png

====================

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the reply.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!  :)

Look forward to hearing back from you.  :)

Cat

#7 prasannah.ganeshan

prasannah.ganeshan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:23 AM

Hi Cat,

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't still Skype yet. Good that i didn't do it. I have run the program you asked to me run. Please find link to the summary of my system.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xkQD1oFvxDsJDuapvwh4nCF

Thanks again.

Regards,

Prasannah

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:03 AM

Prasannah, I see one thing off the bat, you're missing several rounds of Windows Updates. There is a newer .NET Framework (4.5.1) that has replaced .NET Framework 4.0 on Vista & above. 

Plus you don't have SP1 for Windows 7, which was released in 2011. No wonder you're having issues, you have a day's worth of updating to do. My suggestion is that you finish updating your system. When you see Windows 7 Service Pack 1 offered, uncheck anything else on that page & let the SP install. This will take some time, but you need to do it. Otherwise, you're going to have lots of issues ahead, to include a very insecure computer now. Internet Explorer is now at version 11, you have IE9 installed. 

Please, for your own security, get this computer updated. If not, you're missing out on a lot, plus the risk of infection/identify theft. If you were to make a transaction on that OS, you have tons of open back doors open. After SP1, there's been at least 200 more updates since then. 

It may be that Skype will run fine after that. 

Best of Luck,

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 August 2014 - 02:03 AM.

#9 prasannah.ganeshan

prasannah.ganeshan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hi Cat,

Thanks for that, let do a full update as for your instruction and then see. Wait for my update.

Do you think the disk check at I get during bootup also something to do with the Windows update? or that is something else altogether?

Regards,

Prasannah

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

I can't say with 100% certainty that's the cause, has it stopped since removing Skype? 

Also I seen some type of virtual CD device, maybe that's an issue. 

Plus it appears that your backup drive is attached, do you leave that plugged in all the time? If so, it's not good to, as infections can corrupt your backups & other data on the external. Plus the extra wear & tear on the backup drive from being running. The drives themselves appears healthy, according to the SMART specs, plus hasn't been used a lot. 

Do you need all of those versions of Java installed? Many doesn't need it for anything these days, but a few does require the software. On Windows, have been Java free for two years. At any rate, you need to uninstall all of these & install the latest version if needed. 

There is one other thing, which directly affects your Topic, I noticed this & felt you need to know. 2GB RAM is the absolute minimum (as published by MS) required to run Windows 7 64 bit. I've found through experience, that when MS delares a "minimum" is needed, that amount is just enough to boot the computer & run a program or two. Your OS will struggle to run with that amount of RAM & when you throw an app such as Skype into the mix, that can be resource heavy, this can easily cause a BSOD & eventually file system corruption due to repeated crashing & possible drive damage. These are meant to be shut down properly, the BSOD is like pulling the power cord. 

Because you're running out of RAM. When you posted that Speccy snapshot, you were using 86% of your available RAM, with only 261MB to spare. Your built in graphics also needs some of this RAM to run, usually at least 256MB. Having another stick would also enable both channels, which is also beneficial. I notice you're running the same type as me (PC3-12800), running in dual channel would be a nice bump, to 1600MHz. Provided you install another PC3-12800 stick of RAM. It would be desirable with a 64 bit OS to have a total of 4GB RAM for smooth operation of the computer, but you can also add an extra stick of the same type of 4GB, that would be a nice sweet spot. Which would give you a total of 6GB RAM, running in dual channel mode. 

Remember, to benefit the most, you have to add an extra stick of the same type & specs, or purchase a kit with 2 sticks (PC3-12800). This is the most popular option & you get more RAM for the dollar. Note that there's a difference between notebook & desktop RAM. This is what you have & need another stick of & evidently is installed on HP notebooks as stock, so bookmark it & check to see what's available in your region. It's very important to get the correct RAM, otherwise it may not boot. Some RAM sticks are a perfect physical fit, the BIOS may even see the RAM, but the computer won't boot. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-2GB-1Rx8-PC3-12800S-DDR3-1600MHz-SO-DIMM-Memory-RAM-M471B5773DH0-CK0-/221459749543?_trksid=p2054897.l4275#viTabs_0

You have a good processor (CPU) with specs posted below. It's capable of running much any OS you throw at it, but you do need more RAM. Otherwise, get used to the BSOD's, you're going to be dealing with this a lot with only 2GB total RAM installed. To be honest, I can't see why HP (or any major OEM) would distribute a Windows 7 64 bit computer with 2GB RAM. If your computer has an access door to the RAM modules, you may want to open it, but first, make sure that all power is removed, both the AC adapter & battery. Then you can safely check to see if maybe you have a second stick & one may be dislodged. I hope that is the case here. On some HP computers, especially portables, the RAM retention clips are mostly plastic, so handle carefully. If there's two sticks, this should be obvious, one slightly ahead of the other, in this case, one is loose (or defective). Carefully reseat the sticks, these snaps right into place, after you place the module back in, being careful to insert at an angle, so that the gold plated contacts goes all the way in. There's a notch to one side of the stick (in the gold contacts, see picture above), if the notch in the stick is resting against the holder, it's seated. Then push it towards the side clips & it snaps in. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/53438/Intel-Core-i3-2350M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_30-GHz

As stated above, it's my hope that you have a loose stick of RAM, if not, then you'll have to see what you can find. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 August 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#11 prasannah.ganeshan

prasannah.ganeshan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hi Cat,

You have just opened all the possible doubts I had into another proportion. Actually yes the memory could really be the culprit here.

I had one development after you advised me for a windows update. Now I don't get the disk check that I was complaining about earlier. I would really consider a memory upgrade, this was something that I want to do pretty badly. Everyone whom I went with this problem advised me the same.

There are few more of those windows updates that I still need to run. Let me completely run them and then get back to you.

Thanks again for all the help.,

Regards,

Prasannah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users