Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exploer.exe 99% Cpu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ylmama

ylmama

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

This is my first time on this website. I would appreciate any info.
I first noticed my computer slowing down and simultaniously revving up. When I went to the task manager and clicked on processes it said that explorer.exe 99%CPU. I have no idea why this is happening but am guessing I have a virus. I ran various virus scans, norton, windows defender and the norton online scan. The only one to turn up anything was the online scan it read, High Risk: C...\Winfixer2006FreeInstall[1].exeWinFixer. Under Action Taken it read, "Access to the file was denied" I had a friend come over and look at my computer and he ran a fix called Colecto or something similiar to that. It seemed to work for a while but then the same problem reoccured. I have had a few pop-ups from sysprotect also but I am not sure it that is related to this problem or not. Interestingly enough, on this website the problem is not occuring, but I know if I go online and try to check my messages or surf the internet the problem will return within 3 minutes or so. We use Moxilla Firefox to go online. I have deleted my temporary files and done all the usual Maintenance. Any help will save me 200 bucks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

Ah.... here's where the problem lies - Winfixer.

Please do both of the following before we start:

1. Please print these instructions as they might not be accessable later.

2. Save these instructions in word or notepad to the desktop where they can be easily found.

At the moment you may feel like you battling with your computer to keep it running smoothly, but doing the following things will help to get it back to how it was in a faster manner.

Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop.[list]
[*]Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
[*]Put a check next to Run VundoFix as a task.
[*]You will receive a message saying vundofix will close and re-open in a minute or less. Click OK
[*]When VundoFix re-opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.
[*]Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
[*]You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
[*]Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
[*]When completed, it will prompt that it will shutdown your computer, click OK.
[*]Turn your computer back on.
[*]Please post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt in your next reply.

Also, use Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE to check for further infections:

Spybot S&D Tutorial - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-spybot-to-remove-spyware/
Ad-Aware SE Tutorial - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-ad-aware-2007-to-remove-spyware/

I've never heard of the program your friend used to remove Winfixer, so I don't think it removed all of your infection. Please try my cure instructions and DO NOT hesistate to post back for help, further questions, etc. :thumbsup:

Edited by Elendil, 01 June 2006 - 07:49 PM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:47 AM

Once you get the above accomplished download and install the Firefox extension "Adblock" which will eliminate popups (or give you the choice of allowing them on specific sites which you may need to do occasionally).

#4 ylmama

ylmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:36 PM

So far so good. Time will tell. I will be using this website in the future.

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

Glad I could help! :thumbsup: But since I am an avid user and fan of Firefox, please follow Enthusiast's recommendation because Firefox with the proper extensions can become the safest web browser in existance.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

SSEF 3rd Place Finalist, Broward County Science Fair Grand Award Winner, and 1st Place Finalist in Computer Science.
Winner of the 2005-2006 FCMS Principal's Award
Upcoming Events: Discovery Channel Young Scientist Challenge (DCYSC) Nominee and Competitor &
Moving on to High School! Saying goodbye to middle school and more than half my friends, but opening a doorway to whole different world with amazing people and features.

- Elendil's signature!

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!!

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 June 2006 - 09:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users