Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why is my computers shocking me?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ythao01

ythao01

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

So I just completed my first pc build and for some reason when I turn it on it shocks me and now I'm scared that I might break my pc. it doesn't feel like a static shock it's more like a electrical current it going through my hand. Like one of those shocking pen or gum toys.

I'm pretty sure my not shorting out my MoBo or anything although I did buy it on ebay and it is a few years old. Could it be that? Or could it be a malfunction in my PSU?

I first discovered this when I touched my hdd while it was in the hot swap bay.

Edited by ythao01, 30 July 2014 - 10:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Is the power plug connected to a grounded outlet?  Meaning not using a adapter to connect to a two prong outlet.

Did you use the standoffs for the motherboard?

#3 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yes im using the stand offs. I think I found the problem. My extention cord is connected to a surge protector which is connected to a 3 pin to 2 pin adaptor but the adaptor is not grounded.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

That is probably your issue.  You don't have a ground, so when you touch the machine you become the ground.  You need to properly connect the machine to a grounded outlet.  Not being properly grounded is a safety issue you're lucky you've only gotten small shocks.

#5 ythao01

ythao01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:59 PM

thx for the help

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

This also may not good for your hardware in the long haul, your components not having proper grounding. 

It's OK & good to be plugged into a surge protector or UPS, but it has to be grounded. That ground prong is there for good reason. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

This is a typical "ground loop" type of fault that will destroy your eqyupment, piece by piece until it is resolved.  USB cable, VGA cables and any other external peripheral that  has its end device grounded(?) are not intended to carry AC current.  The ground loop also is compounded by non-polarized  two prong plugs and NO grounding at the outlet.  This allows for the neutral and hot sides to be reversed and putting the full 110 volt AC potential on the chasis.   DANGER, this can can kill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users