Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ransomware protection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saket

saket

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

i was wondering about softwares like file monitor and security system which protect sensitive files from being manipulated
av's and softwares either block the action or prompt if the particular program should be allowed.

i think if there is such a directory monitor available
so that i can keep my important documents and pics in a  folder which will be monitored for any access and will prompt me or simply block access

its is nearly impossible to fight with so many new variants of ransomware if we can't fight using av definitions atleat access blocking will be a small vaccine

i am new here please help :)

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

A good backup strategy is the only protection.  Any program that infects your machine has the same rights that you have, at a minimum.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

US-CERT: CryptoLocker Ransomware Infections: Prevention

US-CERT recommends users and administrators take the following preventative measures to protect their computer networks from a CryptoLocker infection:

* Conduct routine backups of important files, keeping the backups stored offline.
* Maintain up-to-date anti-virus software.
* Keep your operating system and software up-to-date with the latest patches.
* Do not follow unsolicited web links in email. Refer to the Security Tip Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
* Use caution when opening email attachments. For more information on safely handling email attachments read Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams (pdf), and Refer to the Security Tip Using Caution with Email Attachments.
* Follow safe practices when browsing the web. For further reading on Safe Browsing habits, see Good Security Habits and Safeguarding Your Data.

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regularly, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

Other Resources:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users