Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard... followed with a sudden failure... Any suggestions on diagnosi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hello everyone... I bought a used motherboard from eBay and after I installed it, things were running smoothly for about an hour. I left the computer running for an hour or so and when I came back to it, it wouldnt turn on anymore. What the hell went wrong?

I tried resetting all power sources, I took it apart and put it all together again, reinserted the memory, the hard drive, etc. I can't find out what's wrong with it. I've tried an external monitor, but thats not the issue. 

Could it just be a faulty motherboard even though it worked for an hour or two??

When I try to power it on the fan stops, then starts running again on low. After tinkering with it for a few minutes 20 minutes or so, it managed to turn on again. As it was booting up, it told me "upgrading system...", followed with a restart and then cue the problem. It wouldnt restart itself back on. The fans were on loud but no display. I havent been able to get it to turn on again.

What do you think is wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

This looks to be a laptop and it could very well be a motherboard problem in the first place. Were you able to reinstall the operating system prior to this problem? There are very little room for diagnosing a laptop board and troubleshooting the basic could sometimes always points to the mobo itself and that the problem given is a used or replacement (exact?). Without knowing the history of the problem prior to the replacement, it would always be an instant conclusion that the last changed component would be the culprit. The used motherboard might have already been exhibiting the same symptoms and this is the risk sometimes which includes ebay product disclaimants.

Tekken

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

My suggestion is that without delay, take advantage of any eBay or PayPal protections offered, there's been a couple of times I've used eBay protection & another time with PayPal that didn't involve an eBay transaction. While there are many honest eBay sellers, there's a few shady ones also, that gives the site a bad rap. 

There has been times when I bought computer related components on eBay, all of the new items were fine. The few used or refurbished ones, were a mixed bag. I've had couple of refunds & a few replacements, as well as tossed a couple that were no longer covered, though this has been some time back. The last used item that I bought was a hard drive, back when the previews of Windows 8 was announced, for that purpose, to test the preview with, as new ones were costly in early 2012. It clicks at startup & shutdown, otherwise ran OK. But that's my last used HDD. 

There are some items where eBay isn't the place to go for & used MB's is one of those. Yes I know they're hard to find, but with some extensive searching, many can be found outside of eBay, where you'll get some form of warranty, if nothing else, 14 to 30 days. It is too much work involved to be dealing with components of unknown usability. Many of these sellers says they're tested, but this can & should be taken with a grain of salt. These sellers buys up lots of non-working computers, strips all of the components & lists what they think may be good at high profit margins. 

Some of these "lots" or bundles of computers can be bought direct from the eBay site. 

I've replaced many components on notebooks, but the motherboard hasn't been one of those & this is why. At today's prices for refurbished computers, many with a warranty, with the option to purchase up to two extra years, it's often best to go that route, or a new budget model from online or local retailers. 

Too, if the OS is the one that shipped with the computer, it lives & dies with the motherboard. Though sometimes MS will re-activate the OS, at their discretion, they don't have to & it can hinge on whatever mood the rep is in on that day. Seriously. I was given the run around transferring one of my Windows 8 Pro upgrade OS's to a working computer, even though it's in the EULA that it can be moved, as long as the same conditions were met (a previous Genuine Windows version installed). 

So that's a concern also, if this is an OEM install. If a full retail version, no problem. 

However at the moment, I feel that you should seek whatever purchase protection that you have & get refunded for this bad component. You've lost what sounds to be a lot of time with this, shouldn't lost your money along with it. 

Hopefully you will be refunded, even if it takes filing a claim, which you'll likely have to do. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 DomMartinelli

DomMartinelli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

Thank you both for you responses, both are very informative and will help me. I'm currently in the process of getting a refund for my MB. Thanks again, Cat and jhayz!

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

You're quite welcome!  :)

Hope you get a speedy refund. 

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users