Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find imported pst files for MS Office Outlook

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 1alh1

1alh1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

I recently imported all of my personal folders containing email from my old computer to this one (Windows 8).  I used Microsoft Office Outlook for both computers.  2 days ago, Windows did an automatic update, and all of my personal folders with the email they contained are gone.  I've done a search for *.pst file and nothing shows up.  How can I retrieve these emails?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rlesech

rlesech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Hello 1alh1,

Try looking in C:---> Users---->yourname---->AppData---->local---->Microsoft---->Outlook. If can't see AppData you will need to change Folder Options to show hidden files, folders, and drives.

#3 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

How did you move the folders across from the old pc and is it possible to repeat the process?

If you copied raw folders they will still be where you put them on your windows 8 pc, hence you can re import into outlook.

Also as soon as you get your email up and running again make sure you do a backup straight away.

How to manage .pst files in Microsoft Outlook
How to automatically back up your personal folders file in Outlook

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#4 1alh1

1alh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thanks to both of you for your help.  I was able to find my .pst folder and retrieve all of my emails.  My address book is still missing, though.  Can you tell me how to locate it and insert it into MS Office Outlook 2007?

#5 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

Try this if it was xp, even if it was vista the instructions should be valid, hth . . .

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308665

Regards,
Phil

#6 napierr

napierr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:43 PM

restore back to previous state of restore point

#7 1alh1

1alh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

I can't do that. After spending 3 hours on the phone today with a Microsoft tech who tried to use remote access to fix the email and other problems related to the Windows automatic update, he created a restore point as of today. With Windows 8, there is no option to select an earlier date until you set an initial restore point...which I hadn't done. So my restore point is now filled with Windows 8 glitches. Once I get my address book back, I plan to disable Windows automatic update. The tech also removed MalwareBytes. I reinstalled it after we disconnected.

#8 1alh1

1alh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

OK.  Now that I have all of my emails and contacts restored, Windows automatic update disabled, and set a new restore point, I'm almost finished.  The only thing I haven't been able to do is use my distribution list (groups) when I try to send an email.  All of the groups show up on the main contacts section (bottom-left on the screen), but they do not appear when I click the "To:" portion of a message.  How do I combine the individual contacts and the distribution lists into one folder?

#9 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

I tried this before and it worked for me. First I would export the DL to a csv file, then using the new Outlook to import the csv file. Make sure to only export the DL and nothing else or you may end up with duplicates of everyone in your contacts list.

Regards,
Phil

#10 1alh1

1alh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

I've been playing with this for a while, and now I realize why I was having difficulty.  I established the account with the basic folders already in place, and then imported my contacts & DLs in a csv file.  I wound up with 2 folders of contacts.  One has just the individual contacts, and the other has both individuals and groups.  When a new message page is opened, I need to mouse down to the other contacts folder, and then all of my individual contacts and groups appear.  I tried merging the 2 folders, but Outlook told me I couldn't do that.  I'm going to try your suggestion of exporting the DLs to a csv file and then importing them into the base contacts folder.   

#11 1alh1

1alh1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

Victory!!  I moved each distribution list to the message portion of an email, and then sent it to myself.  The DLs appeared as attachments.  I dragged each attachment to the main contacts folder, and voila...success.  I still hate Windows 8.

#12 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

That was my next and pretty much last suggestion, email the list to yourself - im glad you sorted it out. Personally i prefer Thunderbird. Much simpler to migrate to a new pc and to backup email contacts etc, but thunderbird doesnt play nice with some important programs, like tax programs (in aust anyway) so some cant get along without good old outlook (tic) . . . i agree about win8 . . . 

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 31 July 2014 - 10:17 PM.

Regards,
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users