Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about a certain domain name which looks "harmless"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ArgusMercenary

ArgusMercenary

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this about. Normally, if my browser says a place is not safe, I avoid it. I use Web of Trust to see which places I should avoid. Recently I found a site which uses this domain name: comxa.com. WOT says it's not trustworthy but the page that uses it certainly doesn't look like it is something illegal. The page uses a name like this "www.insertwebpagenamehere.comxa.com". WOT said that because it uses comxa.com, it inherits the rating given to it by other people.

I researched further, and found out that said domain is known to have frequent spamming, scams, malware and other stuff. This was what it said about comxa.com in general, it also said that hackers from the Syrian Electronic Army have been known to be associated to that name. So should I just stay away from pages that use that domain? Is WOT pegging it as unsafe just because of that name? I found out about this site from a trustworthy source, so that's why I'm asking. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Search the specific site name with www.virustotal.com. Even if it comes up clean be aware that doesn't mean that the people there are nice and won't try to liberate you from your money.

Just be careful always, when browsing unknown sites.

TsVk!

:busy:

#3 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

whois shows the domain registered through 'godaddy' and Alexa rank them 53167. I'd be pretty happy with that myself.

Registrant Name: Kyriakos Kyriako
Registrant Organization: Hostinger International Ltd.
Registrant Street: 61 Lordou Vyronos
Registrant City: Larnaca
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 6023
Registrant Country: Cyprus
Registrant Phone: +357.24030130

looking at comxa.com website it is a free hosting service ( of which there are many on the internet ) so unless you are interested in using the service, i dont think there's anything to see there.

Possibly the domain is used by people for spamming or scams but bear in mind that nearly all of the major providers have the same issues, ie google yahoo etc etc. Its impossible to say with any certainty how many domains use the 'comxa.com' but most will be ok. Having said all that its always a good idea to follow your antivirus or your browsers advice, if either of them think the site is suspect i wouldnt go there, no matter how good it sounds.

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#4 ArgusMercenary

ArgusMercenary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

It's not exactly unknown, I found out about it from people I know. It's just that the warning came up and then I found that stuff about SEA. I just didn't want to end up with some ransomware or some other horrible virus on my PC. I'll check it out on virustotal then. Thanks for the help. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Web to browse sites, download files, and enter information on sign-up forms. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results sometimes into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide. Even Bleeping Computer has been incorrectly rated from time to time....see this discussion topic.

There are several other places where you can check suspicious sites or get second opinions using various URL Link Scanners:-- Use several different vendors when performing queries to confirm the results of page content. Even doing this, you still need to be cautions of other links on the page itself which can redirect to a malicious page.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users