Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro boot issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mainman407

Mainman407

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Last week during the night I just happened to walk by my office door and noticed that my PC was repeatedly re-booting. I immediately shut down the system. The next morning I rebooted my system and the same re-booting process stated again. The POST process was happening so fast I didn't even have a chance to see what the error message was on the Blue Screen. I wasn't even able to boot up in Safe Mode. So, I shut down my system and waited about 30- minutes. Re-booting, a message appeared stating that the dll file hal.dll  was corrupt or missing. Later, however, I detected that the hard drive was failing. I attempted to clone the drive using Acronis True Image but wasn't able to access the drive. Now I have learned the importance of "frequently" backing up one's data. I also tried to correct the problem using Hiren's Boot CD. Yet when I inserted the CD into my CD-drive, nothing happened. There was a notice at the end of the POST: "Boot from CD." Yet when I pressed the Enter key, Windows started instead of the Hiren's Boot CD. This CD has been used in other systems, , , and worked. And I know for a fact that the boot sequence in my system is set for the CD drive. So why am I experiencing problems with allegedly independent boot disk will not boot as it should?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

In situations like this where you need access to your data, you can either connect the drive to another computer, use a USB external enclosure, a USB adapter than connects to the drive, or a self-contained OS on CD like Puppy linux. I cannot help you with Hirens as it is against the Forum's policy.

If you decide to boot a small linux distro like Puppy, download it here. For XP, I would use v5.2.8. Burn the iso file and boot the CD. Once the Puppy desktop appears, you will see your hard drive as an icon in the lower left of the desktop. Clicking on it once will automatically mount the drive and open the File Manager Window. Hopefully it will be able to mount the drive and give  you access. Now attach a USB external drive or USB flash drive to the computer. A USB icon will appear next to the CD drive icon. Clicking once on it will also open up a File Manager Window. You can select multiple files and folders by left clicking while holding down the Ctrl key. Then drag the highlighted files to the USB File Manager Window. A small dialog window will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select Move.

Here is a guide on it's use. On page 2 it talks about doing a disk check. Do not do that. If you are downloading on Windows 7, simply double clicking the iso file will start the burn process. If you are on XP, you can use Isoburner or any program that can burn an image.

Once the data is recovered then we can see if there is a solution to getting XP to boot normally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users