Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extend partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hello! 

Since my rather tiny C drive is becoming cluttered and I fear that some day too soon I will get the 'no space left' message, I went to look into options to extend my C drive to install programs to. What always annoyed me was how my C drive is only 185GB while my D drive (which is empty and unused aside from what looks like an update dump folder of some sort) is 257GB - and I can't install much on that useless space.

Now, I can only extend the C drive with unallocated space to the right of it, but there's a small (350MB) Recovery Partition quietly hiding next to it (which looks empty just as well), so I can't do anything to extend my C drive unless I can free that space next to it. 

Since I don't want to mess with anything unnecessarily, I was hoping someone could help me out here.

A quick screenshot of the partitions shown in disk management is attached.

I'm not very tech-savvy, but I was fed up with this so I'm hoping someone can help out here!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

How about installing a second drive, copying everything from D: to it, delete D, and extend C: into that space?

#3 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I was planning to do that, but can't extend it into the space created if I delete D because of the recovery partition between C and D, I believe? Or maybe that's just a newbie way of thinking ;) Since the space I'd want to extend my C: into would have to be available next to the C: drive?

I do want to keep my files, on the drives, of course, but I believe that doesn't have to be a problem right?

Edited by MsImAQuickStudy, 30 July 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

I am pretty sure you can still do it, but may have to use the diskpart utility frmo the command prompt.

#5 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thank you, I will look into that! (:

#6 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Hmm, so far it doesn't seem the diskpart functionality extends much beyond that of disk management (for what I want to do), or at least I can't find anything that allows me to resize my C: drive by shrinking the D: one (without D being directly to the right of C)? But, like I said, I'm not very familiar with it, so maybe I'm overlooking something!

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Have you read this?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/shrink-and-extend-ntfs-volumes-in-windows/#commandline

#8 MsImAQuickStudy

MsImAQuickStudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Oh no, I just searched on google, I'll look into that!! (I didn't know there were tutorials about that on here, sorry!) Thank you, I'll look into it right away (:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users