Windows Defender in Windows 8 is a full blown antivirus, unlike the version in Windows 7 which was more of a malware and adware program. You should be safe using the Windows Defender.
If you can now download I would highly suggest you run the following.
Please run the ESET OnlineScan
- Click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
- The ESET Online Scanner page will open, click on Yes, I agree to the trems of use, then click on Start, the scan will now begine.
- For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
- Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
- Double click on the icon on your desktop.
- Click the Start button.
- Accept any security warnings from your browser.
- Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
- Click Advanced settings and select the following:
- Scan potentially unwanted applications
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth technology
- ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
- When the scan completes, click List Threats
- Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
- Click the Back button.
- Click the Finish button.
An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.
Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed. If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.
Click on Clean to remove the selected items. If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.
You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed. Click on Ok.
When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented. Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.
Please post the Malwarebytes log.
To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe
and save it to your desktop.
To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop. When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items. Copy and paste this in your next post.