Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown device in manager: USB host controller, Code 43

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nanako

Nanako

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi all.  please see attached dxdiag for my system specs.  note that this is a big desktop PC

this morning i noticed a device in the device manger which isn't working properly. Normally  if it's not a major issue, i'd consider that sort of thing a silly nitpick.

However, i'm currently experiencing a major problem (which shall have its own thread, later), and i need to start eliminating possible suspects

i tried to research this little issue, and i found some steps that seem really good for major discrete components. unfortunately usb host controller is a generic entity, i'm not honestly sure if it even corresponds to any particular usb headers or external ports.

I've already tried the basic steps of disabling/enabling it, un/reinstalling the device, restarting the computer, leaving it powered off for five minutes, etc

:

anyways, details:

the device is listed under the Universal Serial Bus controllers section of the manager, as "Unknown Device"

When i open up the properties menu, i see the following info:

Device type: USB controllers

Manufacturer: (Standard USB  Host Controller)

Device Status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)

going by instructions i found elsewhere, i was trying to hunt through the details tab for the hardware ID. Unfortunately that option only reports the value USB\UNKNOWN

so far, the only ray of hope i've found was some mentions of a problem related to laptop batteries. unfortunately, this is a desktop PC, so that advice wasn't applicable.

please provide advice and troubleshooting steps:

Attached Files

Edited by Nanako, 30 July 2014 - 02:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Well...the first thing I would do...is delete all "controller" items under USB in Device Manager.  Not bother with "hubs" or any other listings, just the items with "conrroller" in the listed description under USB.

Reboot after removing all such.

Code 43 Errors

Louis

#3 Nanako

Nanako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Well...the first thing I would do...is delete all "controller" items under USB in Device Manager.  Not bother with "hubs" or any other listings, just the items with "conrroller" in the listed description under USB.

Reboot after removing all such.

Code 43 Errors

Louis

This sounded like pretty good advice, until i got halfway through it and unstalled the ports my mouse and keyboard were plugged into, apparently. lol

the article you linked to is pretty generic, why should i reinstall all the controllers ?  is it alright to do them one-at a time, and rescan after each?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hello, Sometimes powercycling will help. Unplug the power cable. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug the power cable back in and reboot.

#5 Nanako

Nanako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hello, Sometimes powercycling will help. Unplug the power cable. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug the power cable back in and reboot.

are we scraping the barrel already ? :(

oh well, just tried it, no effect on the problem.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

The controllers reinstall automatically upon reboot.  USB drivers are Windows-supplied on the systems I have.

Louis

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Does the computer have USB 3.0? What is the make and model of the computer or motherboard if custom built?

#8 Nanako

Nanako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

The controllers reinstall automatically upon reboot.  USB drivers are Windows-supplied on the systems I have.

Louis

yes i knew that. by now i've reinstalled them all three times each at least, i don't think that's the answer :(

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Well...what USB devices have you had connected...then disconnected incorrectly?

What USB devices are not performing properly?

Louis

#10 Nanako

Nanako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

Does the computer have USB 3.0? What is the make and model of the computer or motherboard if custom built?

ah sorry, i meant to post a dxdiag, and i forgot that the problematic machine has no internet (using a friend's laptop next to it). I'll get the data copied over on a usb stick within the hour.

in the meabtime, from memory, it has two USB 3.0 ports, and an additional third "fake" usb3 port on the front (it just connects to a cable that snakes through the case, out a hole in the back, and into one of the two rear ports).

the motherboard is a gigabyte model, i can't recall specIfically, but it uses socket am3+

proper data coming shortly

#11 Nanako

Nanako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Well...what USB devices have you had connected...then disconnected incorrectly?

What USB devices are not performing properly?

Louis

ha! you know,. this never actually ocurred to me. i have so many usb ports that quite a few of them never get touched, i'll run a test on all of them and get back to you

#12 Nanako

Nanako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

dxdIAG added to OP

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Unfortunately the log did not give the model number of the Gigabyte. Is this an OEM computer? I was thinking updating the chipset driver or possibly the USB3.0 driver would solve the problem if the controller is USB3.0 and this was a new build.

#14 Nanako

Nanako
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Unfortunately the log did not give the model number of the Gigabyte. Is this an OEM computer? I was thinking updating the chipset driver or possibly the USB3.0 driver would solve the problem if the controller is USB3.0 and this was a new build.

that is odd. no it's not OEM, i built it myself earlier this year. let me just go dig up some reciepts....

aha. it's this board: https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/AMD+Socket/Socket+AM3%2B+Piledriver+FX/Gigabyte+GA-970A-DS3P+AMD+970+ATX+Motherboard+?productId=57500

GA-970-DS3P

i checked around the time i bought it, and i dont think there was any firmware updates available then

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Here is the driver download page for your motherboard.

If you have never installed the USB3.0 driver, I would do that first.

If that does not solve the problem download and install the chipset driver unless you have already done so from the Motherboard CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users