Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound stops working - must restart computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

The sound on my computer (Dell Optiplex) keeps going out. If I restart the computer, it will come back on, but I don't know how to stop it from happening to begin with or why it keeps cutting out.  It's quite annoying.

When I click on the sound icon in the right hand corner, I get this message: "There are no active mixer devices available."  I have tried all the suggested fixes for this, but the only thing that works is to restart the computer.

I have gone to the control panel to add new hardware.  That doesn't work as everything shows up as working just fine.  Can't add anything.

I have checked the device manager -- nothing has a yellow exclamation point.

I have tried to update the driver -- I get the message that I have the latest driver installed.

I have tried to stop and then restart the service in services.msc.  No change.  Sound still won't work. 

According to belarc advisor, this is what I have on my computer:
ADS DVD Xpress B
SndTAudio
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
USB Audio Device

This could be worse - I could totally and always without sound, but it's really quite annoying to have multiple programs open (I work from home on the computer) and have to close everything down in order to restart to get the sound back. It's such an unproductive waste of time and suggests that there is something wrong.

Anyone have any other ideas I haven't tired yet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

I need a few more details. What sound device are you using? Headphones? Speakers that connect through 3.5mm jack? What is the USB audio device as listed by belarc? When does the sound stop working? Does it stop working while streaming a video? What are you doing when the sound stops working? 

As a good first step, first uninstall the sound drivers and software from Control Panel\add and remove programs\uninstall and then reinstall by downloading the newest version directly from dell's website: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/ProductSelector You can find the service tag generally on the top, side, or back of the desktop.

Because this is an older computer (I assume since it is running windows xp), I suggest you open the case, dust the computer out and while you have it open, inspect the motherboard for blown or bulging capacitors: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=cR7ZU8zAB9amyASd34HABw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1272&bih=766

Edited by zingo156, 30 July 2014 - 11:35 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

I have no idea what I'm doing when the sound stops working.  That's because it stops whether I'm actually using a program with sound or not. I don't even know it has stopped working until I try to play a video or something and I have no sound. I'm referring to the speakers plugged into the computer.  Stupidly, I didn't try USB headphones to see if those would work. I can't imagine why they would if there is no sound mixer available. 

I'm not home at my computer at the moment, but I'll try your suggestions when I get back and let you know what I find out.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users