Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting 2 ubuntu distros

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

I've been reading you can't install ubuntu and mint on the same computer and have the grub work with a uefi system.  I tried zorin and mint on an old bios system, and both grubs won't show there either.  They are both ubuntu distros.  I am, or was anyway, wanting to install pinguy, another ubuntu distro and try it for awhile.  So far I have Zorin, mint, avlinux, and fedora on my old 8 year old systemax dual core 2.07 ghz processor, 500 gb hard drive.  At present it is set up with 5 partitions for operating systems, one for boot, and one for home.  Is there a way to have multiple ubuntu systems with boot options for all of them?  I install zorin, and mint disappears from the boot menu, even tho it is still on the partition.  I can still get into it from files in another system, just can't use it.  Same if I install mint, zorin disappears.  Is there a grub program to sense them and give me a choice, or some way to rename the ubuntu grub,  or even some other simple way.  I'm real reluctant to do things in the terminal, but with explicit directions, I might be willing to try.  Also be away I mess up a lot, even on simple things, that's why I don't like going where I can make big mistakes.  

I'm trying to set up both an old desktop, above, and a fairly new laptop with uefi, and a lot of what I've read runs together in my old brain.  I've really enjoyed playing with linux, even tho I'm frustrated most of the time.  I get a real feeling of accomplishment when something works.  Help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Installing any Linux distro on UEFI is a pain. Getting Ubuntu and Mint to install on the same PC is, apparently, an even bigger pain: http://www.zdnet.com/installing-linux-mint-16-on-a-uefi-system-with-ubuntu-7000023834/

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

That was the article I read.  I've read enough I'm crosseyed.   That article said ubuntu and mint, and I found out zorin and mint, plus I'm wanting pinguy and mint.  Zorin and pinguy are also ubuntu derivitives.  I was just thinking someone smarter than me might have found an easy way to accomplish it.  I've got 4 root partitions set up, and I'm having some luck installing, getting used to it maybe, but when the boot options for everything but the last disappears, it's frustrating.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users