Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W7 Pro won't boot on it's own but will through Hiren's disc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joelrwood74

joelrwood74

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Have a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Dell Vostro laptop - user claims he opened an email then his computer crashed. If you try to boot machine it gets to the dell screen with F2 and F12 options but when it goes to boot to Windows screen it restarts. I can boot to a Hiren's disc and select "boot from hard drive" and it will boot into Windows 7 that way. I need to fix this but don't know what to do. THanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Have you tried a startup repair booting from the installation disk?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 joelrwood74

joelrwood74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

I did. That didn't work. But I did find a fix. I got to the command prompt through startup repair and entered these commands:

bootsect.exe /nt60 all

bootrec.exe/fixmbr

bootrec.exe/fixboot

And that seemed to fix what was wrong. I have rebooted into Windows successfully a few times already just to be sure it's still working. I believe there was some malware that messed up some boot records or files but it's working now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

:thumbup2: , nice job :).

Louis

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Excellent. If you think you have a malware / infection problem I'd recommend a visit to the I think I'm infected forum.

Read the rules / instructions, follow them and one of the trained volunteers will help you through the process of making sure you have a clean machine

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users