Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about AdwCleaner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

Just wondering, before I do something I shouldn't, is it ok to run AdwCleaner as part of system mainitenence or is it something that should only be run when told to, and if it is ok to run are there any certain settings that should be applied.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2014 - 10:17 AM.
Moved from Vista to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

AdwCleaner updates by uninstalling and reinstalling. You can use it as often as you like.

Adware makes itself obvious by a sudden increase in ads, search misdirects or excessive ads in searches, etc.

I think you can forgo using it on a regular basis and just use it maybe after installing new programs, addons or updating

programs known to install adware during updates.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Thank you for the reply, my main reason for asking is because I have read in other posts that it also scans the registry and everyone says that reg cleaners should not be used.

Moe_P

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Do you know of any Windows security programs that scan for adware/ malware that doesn't scan the Windows Registry? 

Registry cleaners are not security programs. They supposedly remove orphaned, unused, unneeded registry entries. The

problem with them is their ability to do that successfully without removing needed entries. There is also the well reasoned 

idea that it is unnecessary to find and remove those entries. They cause no harm and don't improve the computer's use.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

AdwCleaner will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include related registry entries (values, keys). It will also clean FF and Chrome extensions and Add-ons. When first run AdwCleaner includes options under the tabs to show what was found and to allow disabling detections you want to keep since not all detections are necessarily bad. The only things you can't uncheck is Chrome and Firefox preferences lines but you still can view them in the "Chrome" and "Firefox" tab. In some cases AdwCleaner may detect items related to legitimate programs...if in doubt about a particular detection, a Google search should be performed to gather additional information before removal.

Note: With most Adware/Junkware/PUPs it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In many cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes the adware more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration. After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like AdwCleaner and JRT to fix any remaining entries they may find.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Thank you both, that is exactly the information I was looking for.

Moe_P

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users