Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Maxtor 3200 Headache!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 oreofudge

oreofudge

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

I have an old Maxtor 3200 External Hard USB Drive that I cannot get it to connect anywhere, and Seagate (bought Maxtor) does not give any support, workaround, drivers, etc, and I'm stuck with a drive that holds info that I need access to.

When you connect it, the message that pop up is "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port... etc" ...so I've connected it to every USB port with no luck.

This drive was first connected to a Dell Dimension 2400, from where all data was backed-up from, but that computer's hard drive died and had to be replaced. A clean install of the OEM Windows system was done, but since unable to update it, we decided to replace it with Windows 7. That's when the issue with the drive came afloat, apparently Windows 7 does not recognize this drive, although the "can perform faster" message appeared.

So I fired up an old Gateway laptop running a pretty much updated Windows XP Home SP3, hoping that since back then the drive ran under a more or less equal system, it would now do so as well... but nope! the same error appears and I am unable to access the drive.

Following a recommendation read, I ran "drivecleanup.exe" on this laptop to delete any old USB drivers, but still no luck.

Also, once connected, I can see the drive's green light flashing and can barely listen some whirring and rotating sounds. The systems makes an attempt to load the correct drivers, in fact it shows that it found a "Maxtor 3200", but ends up telling that an error was found and that it may not be working properly.

Any help to regain access to it will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advanced! ;-}#

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

If I had to guess, it would be that the USB bridge board is bad. You could take the drive out of the case and put it into a new external enclosure or use a USB adapter on the drive. You would need a 3.5 enclosure with power supply. You need to determine if the drive is IDE or SATA.

How to disassemble the 3200

And a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU52Csy4Nfw

#3 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Probably a USB enclosure issue as @JohnC_21 pointed out. As suggested, you can try pulling out the drive out of the enclosure and try to connect it directly to a PC internally or thru another spare external USB enclosure/adapter..

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#4 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for the help so far!

This is the update...

I was able to pullout the hard drive (320 Gb ST3320620A) from the enclosure and connected it but now I'm unable to load either drive.

I have an 80Gb WD800BB where Windows is, and the Seagate, both with jumpers set in CABLE SELECT and both set in AUTO in the BIOS. I'm attaching pics of the screens showed.

1.- Initial Screen: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1973szbl9z2vpg0/AADSGbNFaugRPeHwQ5IC-sQaa

2.- BIOS Screen: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/8dtbjmenwtc9zak/AABnc_7JTGBJqQMOUAq_1OUwa

3.- Original single connector cable: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1751k7w03c1nj0u/AACakf1PAFYssmEBZnVgRFVfa

4.- 3-Connector cable: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0n91l9kc4p8nlyu/AAAwqvLvZUNH4JefUQKRPpk0a

Any help will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance! ;-]#

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

Because BIOS does not detect the drives it's possible, the cable is not attached properly to the motherboard or drives or ,hopefully not, something hardware related happened when you were attaching the new cable. Is the orginal internal drive detected when you remove the Maxtor from the cable. Make sure the jumper on the the orginal drive is set to master and not cable select. For the 3 connector cable the Maxtor should go to the middle connector.

Edit: There is also a chance the 3-connector cable is bad.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#6 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

The original drive worked fine until I turned off the computer to install the ST, after that this prob came afloat.

Now, the WD, which was the original isn't being recognized, not even with its original cable set in correctly, not even with or without jumpers set as Master.

Nothing could have broken from what I did, and the 3-connectors cables are "new" and never used, came with other drives and where stored safely, so really don't think the cables are faulty, plus the original one isn't working.

Any other hints?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

I would reset the CMOS. Pull the power cable, remove the CMOS battery, hold the Power Button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and Power Cable. Reboot. If you have a jumper to clear CMOS, you can use that also. It's also possible your Molex power cable is not fully seated into the drive.

These kind of problems is why I am always hesitant to recommend attaching the drive internally and not using an adapter.

#8 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

Oops! After hooking up just the WD with the original cable and no jumper, it displayed the BIOS screen and then wrote my last post, but I just hit ESC and went directly to the welcome screen and working. Any hints now to see if I can install the ST as the second one?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Yes, do not set it to cable select. Put the jumber on slave and in the middle position of the cable. You would need to set the WD drive to master. Like I said in the previous post, it may be a bad cable.

Edit: This is the USB adapter I was talking about.

Here is the enclosure.

If the cable does not work, you may be able to pick one up at an independent shop. Get the 80wire one if possible.

Another.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#10 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

Ok, I have two new spare 3-connector cables to try this with, as per the WD, I have two options to set it as a Master, without jumper (single master) or with jumper (with a slave attached), right now it's with no jumper, so I'm guessing I have to put the jumper in there right? ...as per the second as a slave, copy that! Thanks!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

With the drives I have seen, there is Master, Slave, and CS. What is the model number of the WD? But, yes, give it a try and see if the ST is detected.

#12 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

WD800BB

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Okay, here is the legacy jumper settings for WD just in case.

#14 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

Update...

3-Connector cable seems to work since I swapped it with the original and the WD booted up as a single drive with no prob.

Prob starts when setting the jumper for Master with a Slave drive; I first booted up with the jumper set as described but with no Slave phisically attached and the Master wasn't recognized; and then phisically attached the Slave and neither was recognized.

#15 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Okay, here is the legacy jumper settings for WD just in case.

Yup, I set it as shown for Dual Master, in the middle when trying to connect both, but remove it when by itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users