Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk at 100%

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 epicxpacman

epicxpacman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

What can i upgrade to make it so i don't need to worry about maxing out on disk. When it does max out my computer starts to lag/chug. I don't really understand how this works like when your having trouble with the cpu you upgrade. when your using 100% mem get more ram. but the disk? i have a 2 TB hard drive???

Specs:

Windows 8.1

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Intel® Core™ i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.8GHz

16 GB DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte X79-UP4

ATA TOSHIBA DT01ACA2 SCSI Disk Device

28mflvs.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

A faster OS drive such as an SSD will be a good upgrade. Spindle (platter) hard drives are slow compared to modern SSD's (solid state drive). Platter drives are definitely a bottle neck when it comes to read/writes.

One of the fastest cheapest SSD's around is the Samsung Evo 840: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=samsung+evo+840&N=-1&isNodeId=1

SSD's are more expensive for the amount of storage they give you, generally you will install the OS and important software on the ssd and then use the platter hard drive for large files and extra storage.

Edited by zingo156, 30 July 2014 - 08:43 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Your response time looks high.  How low does it go?  I'm copying a lot of data off of a very slow NAS right now and my response time is 40ms or so.  My program drive is going from 325 to 450, but I'm running a movie and my web browser off it.

How full is the drive?

If it is a mechanical drive has it been defragmented lately?

I recommend backing up your important data before you defrag.  If this drive is failing, that may expain the high usage time.  With 16GB of RAM you shouldn't have paging issues and you're only using 21% which should rule out paging issues.

#4 tbirdted

tbirdted

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

reduce the size of UR recycle bin to 1%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users