Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me! Harddrive Partition Recovery

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

Hi, I have hooked up my internal harddrive externally via a usb and power adapter utility, and I need to try and recover my partition that is lost on it. I have installed a brand new hdd internally which will help me do this but I need some guidance on what to do and use to recover my partition. The files are all on the bad HDD because I have used EaseUS Data Recovery to search for it all, but I would like to be able to access the HDD normally via My Computer, but the HDD is RAW so I can't at the moment.

What can I download to recover my partition please and what steps do you take within the software

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

hello.......?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hello,

There are a number of programs available. The easiest you use and the first choice would be Partition Find and Mount.

Do an Intellectual Scan first. If the file system is not severely corrupted it will take a short time. If that does not work, do a Thorough scan.

Here is a guide on it's use.

#4 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

Ok, just to get this straight, to get my HDD accessible and out of RAW state, I just need to do everything up to the Assigning a drive letter part, yeah? I can transfer data my own ways etc, I just need to be able to access the HDD

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2014 - 05:40 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

That is right. Once you assign the found partition a drive letter (if it can find one) and mount it, you can copy data from the mounted partition just like copying data from any other drive letter.

#6 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

........The files are all on the bad HDD because I have used EaseUS Data Recovery to search for it all, but I would like to be able to access the HDD normally via My Computer, but the HDD is RAW so I can't at the moment.

What can I download to recover my partition please and what steps do you take within the software

Usually, you could try and use Testdisk to recovery your files from a RAW drive but I would suggest that you should get an image/clone of that problem drive first before doing the data recovery procedure. You can try using ddrescue in Linux to do a bit by bit image of your drive and then you can do the data recovery procedure from the image/clone you got.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#7 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

I chose thorough scan and its just staying at 0%...?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,684 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Then your hard drive has probably failed (Or the file system is severely damaged). Here is a guide on using Testdisk. It's possible linux would be able to open the drive while Windows can't. It may be worth a try to use Parted Magic and see if it can mount the drive. Here is the last free version of Parted Magic. The latest version is a $5 download. As noted in the article, do not write anything if you cannot see a list of files.

Before you use Testdisk on the Parted Magic disk, run "Disk Health" and see what it reports on the drive's status.

If Testdisk cannot find the partitions, there is PhotoRec which works similar to Easeus.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#9 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:29 AM

Not having much luck atm. If I cant recover my partition, what software do you recommend for recovering the data?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,684 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Did  you first check the Disk Health of the drive using PartedMagic? If not you can use the Windows version of GsmartControl to do a check or Seatools for Windows as the drive is attached via USB. Seatools User Guide.

Were you able to see your files with Easeus Data Recovery? From your post it seemed Easeus was able to detect your files. Easeus is paid. The only free version that does the same thing is PhotoRec but all recovered files will have generic names. Be sure you select which file extensions you want under Folder Options or it will retrieve even dll files.

A less expensive option than Easeus but still a good one is Active@filerecovery. The pro version is $35 with the Promo Code. You can download and run the software to see if if finds your files. If it can, you can get the registration key to activate it and recover your files.

Some people have had good luck recovering the RAW partitions using DiskInternals Partition Recovery but this option is $150. It can also be downloaded as a trial version to see if it can detect and mount the partition.

If none of the above can find your files, you will need to send it to a Professional Data Recovery service and that option is very expensive. Possibly over $1000

#11 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

Uploading pics of the health check for you

#12 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt9XBZsIMAAAAfA.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt9XCTHIYAEMXTc.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt9XDB-IAAEHXEg.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt9XEOqIcAADC3c.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt9XFFZIYAAtEhS.jpg:large

#13 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

I dont think partition magic will work for me now. I accidentally knocked the usb loose when it was in the middle of a deep scan last night, and from then on every time I try and do a quick scan or deep scan, it seems to start the partition search around 2000 files in, and it loads extremely fast and completes the searches in about 30 seconds and doesnt give anything  which is obviously giving false information. So we have to try something else unfortunately. Tried different things to get it to work again and it doesnt want to know.

#14 PCGeek-2014

PCGeek-2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Downloaded and ran Gsmartcontrol but it doesnt pick up my HDD for some reason.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,684 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

Looking at the disk scan, even though it passed you have a very high Current Pending Sector Count which is not good. It would seem the only way to retrieve any files would be using a program like Easeus, or any of the other I linked to in my previous post. I do not think you will be able to mount this partiiton.

Using Parted Magic you could do a ddrescue image and then use PhotoRec on the image to retrieve your files but that will put additional stress on the drive. ddrescue would scan the drive multiple times, usually it would be set to 3, in order to retrieve the data from bad sectors. It does have a learning curve and you have to make sure you use it correctly or you could overwrite your internal drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users