Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-malware Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

A few questions regarding anti-malware software and how you use them came up into my mind:

1. What anti-virus product do you use?
2. What anti-spyware product(s) do you use?
3. What firewall do you use?
4. How often do you scan for viral malware?
5. How often do you scan for spyware, adaware, and those such non-viral malware?
6. Do you use any "speed/performance boost" products? If so, what are they?

If you could take the time to answer these questions, that'd be great. I'm hoping to base my furture anti-malware decisions off of these. Here's my answer to my "survey":

1. Sophos Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Virus (They're not running at the same time though)
2. Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor, Ewido Anti-Malware, A-Squared Anti-Malware, HJT, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, BlackLight Rootkit Detector, and SocketShield (I recently removed Windows Defender from my computer).
3. Sygate Firewall
4. Daily
5. Spybot S&D is run daily, while I run Ewido or A-Squared Anti-Malware every other day, Spyware Doctor & Ad-Aware SE are used weekly, and BL Rootkit detector is also used weekly.
6. I use the CCleaner and MRU-Blaster.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

1. Symantec AV CE
2. Spyware Doctor (registered), Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster
3. ZA Basic Firewall
4. Scheduled daily quick scan in the middle of the night...Scheduled full system scan early Sunday morning
5. Daily scheduled scans/updates in the middle of the night
6. NO

I have Ewido, Spybot, AdAware, etc...but I only run them once a month at most and only if I think my system needs it...they generally don't find anything.

Scheduled scans are glorious...they allow you to go overkill on the scanning without ever actually watching it scan! You're sleeping, and you're computer is getting cleaned..it's a beautiful thing.

You really don't have to spend any time at all during your day scanning your computer to keep it clean...if you are it's a waste! Stick to the essentials and don't go crazing with running 10 programs a day! Prevention is clutch...
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:32 AM

1. AVG (free version)
2. Ad-AwareSE, Spybot S&D (no teatimer)
3. Sygate Personal Firewall
4. Once a month (full hard drives scan)
5. Once a month (alternate every two weeks between Ad-Aware and Spybot)
6. None

No viruses or malware (outside of a few cookies) found in three years.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

Interesting varities so far, but no I don't waste my time scanning because they're scheduled for when I'm not on the computer; however, sometimes a scan will conflict, so I'll end it and scan at a better time.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users