Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tosc7506

Tosc7506

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

My sons pc has probably 3-6 BSODs a day, sometimes the screen says its the video driver, sometimes nothing at all.  Can someone point me in the right direction for some help?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.htmlu

nzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.when

scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select AllG

o to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 Tosc7506

Tosc7506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

There's a lot

Dump File         : 072714-52494-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/27/2014 6:50:23 PM
Bug Check String  : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000001e
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+75b90
File Description  : NT Kernel & System
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 6.1.7601.18409 (win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+75b90
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\072714-52494-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 8
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 305,304
Dump File Time    : 7/27/2014 6:51:54 PM
==================================================

Dump File         : 072714-35521-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/27/2014 1:48:23 PM
Bug Check String  : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000001e
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : ndis.sys
Caused By Address : ndis.sys+2419
File Description  : NDIS 6.20 driver
File Version      : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+75b90
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\072714-35521-01.dmp
Dump File Size    : 305,256
Dump File Time    : 7/27/2014 1:49:42 PM

Dump File         : 072414-55489-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 7/24/2014 1:58:24 PM
Bug Check String  : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1       : 00000080`000041a8
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000005
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000001
Parameter 4       : fffff880`0f6085d4
Caused By Driver  : dxgmms1.sys
Caused By Address : dxgmms1.sys+85d4
File Description  : DirectX Graphics MMS
File Version      : 6.1.7601.18126 (win7sp1_gdr.130409-1534)
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\072414-55489-01.dmp
Dump File Size    : 305,264
Dump File Time    : 7/24/2014 3:13:36 PM

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Just those three or did you edit the list? If you edited it, please post the 10 most recent entries.

Meanwhile I have a couple of questions and then some things you can try:

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Please open device manager. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

Some things to try for now:

• Make sure you have the most recent version of Direct-X installed
  • Is this a laptop or desktop? If it's a desktop, go to the website of the manufacturer of your display adapter and download and install the most recent driver. If it's a laptop, you need to get the driver from the website or your laptop manufacturer
  • Please check the ram as follows: download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.
  • Please run checkdisk as follows: right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#5 Tosc7506

Tosc7506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Nope, I didn't edit it...is there a way to look back further?  The only yellow exclamation point is next to my network controller.  Its a desktop, I have installed the latest NVidia drivers, I run the windows memory test for several passes and it never finds any errors, ill try to download the memtest.  Checkdisk didn't find anything last time I ran it.

Thanks

Tim

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

Please run checkdisk exactly as described in my last post.

You need to download and install the correct driver for your ethernet card.

#7 Tosc7506

Tosc7506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

Disabled the wireless card (couldn't find the drivers...no biggie cause I'm using the motherboard connection).  Ran the memtest and check disk just as you said...no errors on either one.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

Did you install the latest version of direct-x?

Please go to the website of your computer manufacturer and download and install the latest chipset driver.

According to the above blue screen report you've had three bsod's. Are you still getting them now?

Last, please publish a Speccy Report as follows:

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

====================

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

speccyq.png

• Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
publish.png

• Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

copydi.png

====================

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the reply.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs! :)

#9 Tosc7506

Tosc7506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TeAR4C6shvvgougq0vJ5Ysi

Direct X is current, always get the BSODs, sometimes when gaming, others when system is idle.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

Okay good. Let's go through this one at a time (please respond to all):

• I see you just installed W7. Why? Was there a previous problem? I'm guessing this is when the bsod's first began.
  • Was this an upgrade or a clean install?
  • After installing the OS did you go to the Dell Website and download and install all appropriate drivers for W7? Did you install the chipset driver? If not, please do so now.
  • Please disable Windows Defender by disabling the Windows Defender Service
  • Please disable Hibernation (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730)
  • I suggest you ininstall the Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack (it might just be listed as "bing bar")
  • Please disconnect your My Book when not in use
  • Just as a precaution, please run full system scans with both ZA anti virus AND with MalwareBytes

Edited by Allan, 31 July 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#11 Tosc7506

Tosc7506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Okay good. Let's go through this one at a time (please respond to all):

• I see you just installed W7. Why? Was there a previous problem? I'm guessing this is when the bsod's first began.  The pc became unresponsive, so I used the Win7 disk that CyberPowerPC(the manuf) gave us when he bought the PC.
  • Was this an upgrade or a clean install?  A reinstall...I had told it to format the HD first.
  • After installing the OS did you go to the Dell Website and download and install all appropriate drivers for W7? Did you install the chipset driver? If not, please do so now.  I went to Gigabyte and installed all the latest drivers for the board.
  • Please disable Windows Defender by disabling the Windows Defender Service  Ok, will do
  • Please disable Hibernation (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730) Will do
  • I suggest you ininstall the Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack (it might just be listed as "bing bar")  Bing bar update won't install for some reason.
  • Please disconnect your My Book when not in use.    Will do
  • Just as a precaution, please run full system scans with both ZA anti virus AND with MalwareBytes   Just did MB last night...will do ZA when I get home from work.

These BSODs have been going on since the refund window (30 days from CyberPower PC) colsed...I will not get a pc from them again.  We sent the PC back a few times...1st time RAM was replaced, 2nd time CPU and 3rd time Video card was replaced.

Edited by Allan, Today, 09:31 AM.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Two typos in my post above - sorry. First, I wanted you to UNinstall the Bing bar. Second, I said Dell and that was obviously a mistake.

Can you please explain the problem(s) you were having before the reinstall in detail in case it is related to your current problems?

As for the disc you used for the reinstall, is it a Windows 7 disc or an image that is restored taking you back to "system shipped" state? In other words, does it walk you through a clean Windows install or does it install everything (including drivers, "crapware", etc)?

Last, you said you installed the chipset driver. Did you just do that or did you do that after the reinstall?

Edited by Allan, 31 July 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#13 Tosc7506

Tosc7506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Two typos in my post above - sorry. First, I wanted you to UNinstall the Bing bar. Second, I said Dell and that was obviously a mistake.  No worries.

Can you please explain the problem(s) you were having before the reinstall in detail in case it is related to your current problems?  I would get a BSOD either nvidia related or nothing, or it would be the "system shut down to protect itself type error" ,  then when I restarted it, it would just hang after the post screen...even when I would try to start it in safe mode.

As for the disc you used for the reinstall, is it a Windows 7 disc or an image that is restored taking you back to "system shipped" state? In other words, does it walk you through a clean Windows install or does it install everything (including drivers, "crapware", etc)?  Im pretty sure that its just a windows disk, I had to install all the drivers after windows was installed.

Last, you said you installed the chipset driver. Did you just do that or did you do that after the reinstall?  I did it after the OS reinstall

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Okay, so if I understand what you are saying you were getting bsod's prior to the reinstall that are similar to what is happening now, correct? And you said you are getting bsod's either when gaming or idle but not other times, correct?

Just one other thing I'd like you to try please. If you do get bsod's when the system is idle, please boot to safe mode and let the system run. Let's see if you get a bsod from safe mode. Right now, I'm thinking it's a hardware issue - perhaps the display adapter. But it's so hard to diagnose some of these problems from long distance.

#15 Tosc7506

Tosc7506
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Okay, so if I understand what you are saying you were getting bsod's prior to the reinstall that are similar to what is happening now, correct? And you said you are getting bsod's either when gaming or idle but not other times, correct?  Yes, it's been the same thing pretty much every time.

Just one other thing I'd like you to try please. If you do get bsod's when the system is idle, please boot to safe mode and let the system run. Let's see if you get a bsod from safe mode. Right now, I'm thinking it's a hardware issue - perhaps the display adapter. But it's so hard to diagnose some of these problems from long distance.

I understand...I will try the safe mode when I get home tonight.

thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users