Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD card readers and SDHC memory cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DeLuk

DeLuk

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

Greetings to the forum. :)

I suppose this is possibly a silly question but it's one doubt I need cleared...

Imagine I have a laptop (any laptop for the matter, since this is kind of a "generic" doubt) which includes a built-in SD card reader. Now, I have an SD adapter which originally came with a 2GB microSD card, and the manufacturer (Kingston, for the matter) confirmed me that I can use the SD adapter with any other micro card independently of its capacity, i.e. be it microSD or microSDHC. And so now I have bought a 4GB microSDHC card, and I do want to use it with the SD adapter in the built-in SD card reader of any laptop, so my question is: in the event of the laptop not being compatible with reading/writing SDHC cards, but only SD ones, is there any risk of damaging either the microSDHC card or the laptop's built-in card reader if I do use it there and the reader turns out to be indeed incompatible with this higher capacity card format?

Thank you to anyone who can hopefully clear this out for me (and sorry if it's indeed the silliest question)... :)

P.S. Not too sure whether this post belongs here, or rather the External Hardware section? But since it ultimately relates to the built-in card reader, I suppose Internal Hardware, yes? If not, though, please do move it to the appropriate section, and my apologies for the mispost...

Edited by DeLuk, 30 July 2014 - 06:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

It will not do any harm to the card or the card reader. What matters here is the operating system - and you don't say what OS you are concerned about.

XP did not natively support SD cards, there was an MS download which sometimes enabled this facility, and would not read SDHC cards at all. I am working from memory here, this situation may have been changed with SP3.

I believe Vista did support SD cards from its original release and could also read SDHC cards. I do not know this from personal experience because I have never owned a computer running Vista.

Win 7 and 8 can read any type of SD card, and that includes micro cards using an adapter, that you care to connect to it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

The SDHC patch is incorporated into SP3 for XP.

One rider I'd add is that it is necessary for the actual card reader hardware to be HC capable, although as Kingston said, the adapter itself is independent of card capacity. If the reader hardware is original SD spec not HC, being unable to read the card would be the likely result, and as Chris said, should cause no problem. If an odd circumstance arose where a reader misread an HC card, like maybe seeing än 8GB as 4GB, or some other sign of not being "right", then it would be wise not to use the card at all in that system to avoid possible data corruption.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 DeLuk

DeLuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

Thank you both, Chris Cosgrove and Platypus, for the feedback. :)

Yes, my primary and main concern is just exactly that: about the card reader hardware being HC capable, and whether in the event of it being not, that causing damage to either the card or, worse, the card reader itself, rendering it unusable for any type of card; this is/was my actual fear and the reason why I didn't want to try things out before asking... :blush:

With regards to the OS, hmm, that would depend, as it goes from XP SP3 to Vista and 7...  But yes, the worries ultimately go to the capability of the hardware and whether any "incompatibility" might cause damage to the parts...

So thank you for the reassuring words and I'll later try it then... (Even if only to find out that the reader can't read the card, lol, ok, but at least no longer fearing it may end up damaged or whatever... :rolleyes:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users