Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Date Function

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gretel

gretel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

I have a spreadsheet with a date field - I need to copy parts of the sheet to another worksheet. When I copy the dates they are inexplicably changed - Formatting has been meticulously checked. The most common change is that the month remains the same, the date is one day less than the original, and year is four years earlier. So 01/18/06 becomes 01/17/02 - happens in every date format. Over and over. Also, in the pick from list option for cell, there is a choice 2- 14. I don't know what this means or why it's there. Does it have something to do with my problem?

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 02 June 2006 - 07:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

Hi gretel
Are these two worksheets from different systems?
Sounds strange but in excel click Tools>Options>Calculations tab.
Under "work options' you'll see a "1904" date system.
If the sheet you're copying from and the sheet you're pasting to were built using the two different calander settings, that is your 1462 day difference.
Typicly the 1904 date system is used with a mac but it can also happen on windows systems if the systems that made the two sheets used different calander dating. Did I explain that clearly enough?
Rather then using paste, try paste special using one of the options that will popup instead.

#3 sedavis62

sedavis62

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:52 AM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This particular problem has bugged me for some time. I was a long time Mac user who had to migrate many Excel files to PC a while ago. This date problem has popped up here and there. Your answer here provided the simple fix I was looking for (and now feel dumb about!)

Thanks again,
Sue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users