Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new hard problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cosmos600

cosmos600

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:30 AM

Hi
please could someone help me with new hard drive query. Replacing old hard drive as it broke laptop is dell inspiron 1545. Laptop would not reboot anymore. Have fitted new hard drive and it will not boot up says press f1. Have installation discs for vista 64 os have tried those but nothing is happening and changed the bios to reboot from usb as cd/dvd drive does not work anymore. The new hard is not formatted or initialized do not know how to do this. What do I need to do to get the hard drive working the hard drive has been recognised on the bios as I can see the gb has changed from 500gb to 750gb which is new hard drive size.
Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:10 AM

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1545_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf?c=au&l=en&cs=audhs1&s=dhs

I would try get info of the old drive specially the partition arrangement and any recovery partition that holds the necessary info to boot the laptop.

This may require the drive to be connected to another pc through usb docking station..

If the vista os disk you have is a full install one  then all you need to do is use it to  install..First if the rom drive is broke then you will need a new one to proceed.

These are not expensive and easy to replace.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html    download the bootable cd version  excellent partition tool to set up your new hdd

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dell+inspiron+1545++replacement+rom-drive

Edited by johnebadbak, 30 July 2014 - 04:12 AM.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:10 AM

Hi,

How did you transfer the Windows Vista to the USB flash drive?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

Hi
Thanks for message I have ordered a new disk drive

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hi,

Hi
Thanks for message I have ordered a new disk drive

Do you mean a new Windows disk or a new Hard Disk drive? The other one 750GB isn't working properly?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Hi
A new hard drive disk is fitted.
Thanks

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Ok. Regards.

___
Rui

#8 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hi
Do I need to partition the new hard drive before loading the vista os disc to install os system. Also have tried to save info from old hard drive by putting it in enclosure case and joining via USB to another laptop but it did not seem to register on any of the laptops I plugged it into.
Thanks

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Hi
Do I need to partition the new hard drive before loading the vista os disc to install os system.

No, let the Windows installer do it if you want to use the full disk for the OS and without extra partitions.

Also have tried to save info from old hard drive by putting it in enclosure case and joining via USB to another laptop but it did not seem to register on any of the laptops I plugged it into.
Thanks

Maybe the disk is bad or a problem with the enclosure!

___
Rui

#10 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hi

I have installed windows vistas with the new disk drive but every time it updates and shuts off it wipes the windows installation off the computer and I have to start again. 

Thanks

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Hi,

Hi

I have installed windows vistas with the new disk drive but every time it updates and shuts off it wipes the windows installation off the computer and I have to start again. 

Thanks

That is very strange. What error do you get when starting after the updates and shutdown??

___
Rui

#12 cosmos600

cosmos600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

Hi
No
Errors if I shut down and boot up without disc it goes to f1 no boot option. If the disc is installed it starts installing again
Thanks

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,936 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

Hi
No
Errors if I shut down and boot up without disc it goes to f1 no boot option. If the disc is installed it starts installing again
Thanks

Did you change the boot order on the BIOS to boot from the HDD after the windows install?

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users