Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing windows 7 installation from alternate partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aenimated

Aenimated

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

Hi guys!

i usually never need to post in forums as im pretty good at digging up information on any repair i need to do, but this one has me stumped for 2 days now. Im an avid bleepingcomputer visitor and get all my fix it programs here, so i figured this would be a great place to start. 

here's whats going on. im fixing a computer for a friend. she says her os was crashing and she brought it to me, i could see it crash once and then restarted and it would no longer detect her hard drive. after hours of tests, turns out her sata ports went bad. ordered new motherboard and replaced it. works great now, except for the os still crashing. im getting 0x000000b7 bsod. usually the fix for that is ide/ahci mode settings in bios ive come to realize, fixing many a pc in my day. however, this isnt the case. crashes no matter what bios setting i use.

startup repair is a joke. i have w7 disk and ran chkdsk /r.. it did find a few bad sectors and repaired them, but nothing significant. spammed sfc /scannow bootdir blah blah.. ran all bootrec.exe commands fixing mbr fixing bootsector, even tried manually rebuilding mbr. and nothing is working. ive booted mini xp (via hirens boot cd) and ran all kinds of virus scans and few other various scans and everything comes up ok. 

i setup a 2nd partition on the drive and installed w7 (same version as the other w7 installation on other partition) theres no problems and have full access to the problem partitions windows files. i know to run a repair install i have to do it from within windows itself, but there is no option to select a drive for the repair.

she has paid for programs she would really like to keep and doesnt have disks such as office, norton and few others. plus i like to keep customers file locations in tact because theyre comfortable with it. it can be hard on them having to remember where everything is on a new install. 

basically is there anyway i can do a repair install on the problem partition from any kind of bootdisk or from my other w7 installation?

is there anyway to clone her os and copy it over the new one and her files still be intact? 
 maybe theres some other boot repairs i havent tried anyone could suggest?
any help would be greatly appreciated. always open to suggestions.
(im 100% possitive its nothing hardware related as well)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

What I would do:

a.  Clone the current hard drive contents.

b.  Run a hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive.

I see no point in ignoring the possibility that the drive has problems.

Louis

#3 Aenimated

Aenimated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:54 AM

already ran hdd diagnostics, smart tests, memtest86 for the ram and all sorts of other hardware testing tools. worst thing i found was only a few bad sectors on the hard drive from chkdsk, which is common. ive never messed with cloning suprisingly. never had a need to. if i clone her old os partition, can i copy it to the new one and windows be intact along with her files? its no problem to move her pictures and documents over to the new os, were mostly concerned about the paid for programs she has installed that she doesnt want to lose. what other suggestions you have in relation to cloning or repairing operating system?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

A clone is not going to repair anything...it's simply like taking a photo on a given day, at a given time...but it is the entire partition or drive.

Chkdsk is a file system tool...it only checks the hard drive to the extent of finding files which are on bad sectors.  You can have a hard drive with many bad sectors ...but if the partition being checked doesn't rest on those bad sectors, chkdsk /r could care less and won't reveal them.  The only time that chkdsk /r will analyze an entire hard drive...is if the Windows parttiion consumes the entire drive size.

Louis

#5 Aenimated

Aenimated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

i know this, it does scan the boot sectors though. i need something relevant to fixing my bootup issue, not information about things ive already tried.. thanks for trying though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users