Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doubt about install a OS in a SSD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sharly55

sharly55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:59 PM

My doubt is this...

If I install my OS in a SSD, Can I really feel a great difference on speed and perfomance?

Because the value of SSD is very high and I don't know if pay off to get one

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

Yes there is a noticeable difference, particularly with start up times and loading of programs.  An SSD has much faster random access times, and transfer rates compared to an ordinary hard disk.  Of course a system is only as good as it's weakest link and if you are thinking of updating an outdated and slow computer by adding an SSD, you might want to think twice as the money may be better put towards a new computer.

I would not suggest installing an older OS (XP, Vista etc.) on an SSD, as they lack tools to deal with them.  Windows 7, 8 and modern Linux distributions will work fine, although you may have to do some optimisation to get it working at it's best.  There are plenty of guides on the internet for optimising these OS's for running from an SSD.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 sharly55

sharly55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Yes there is a noticeable difference, particularly with start up times and loading of programs.  An SSD has much faster random access times, and transfer rates compared to an ordinary hard disk.  Of course a system is only as good as it's weakest link and if you are thinking of updating an outdated and slow computer by adding an SSD, you might want to think twice as the money may be better put towards a new computer.

I would not suggest installing an older OS (XP, Vista etc.) on an SSD, as they lack tools to deal with them.  Windows 7, 8 and modern Linux distributions will work fine, although you may have to do some optimisation to get it working at it's best.  There are plenty of guides on the internet for optimising these OS's for running from an SSD.

Thanks for answer! Can a SSD improve the performance in programs that need video memory like games or AutoCAD?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

I'm not sure I understand?  It should improve load times of those programs and may improve their performance if they make heavy use of disk I/O.  It won't improve video performance.  Just think of it as using a faster hard disk.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 sharly55

sharly55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

I'm not sure I understand?  It should improve load times of those programs and may improve their performance if they make heavy use of disk I/O.  It won't improve video performance.  Just think of it as using a faster hard disk.

Ok, I get it, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users