Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer powered down itself, and now issues turning it on at all

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CloveFD

CloveFD

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hey guys!

The issue I have I this -

I was playing startopia and my PC turned off. I tried turning it back on, but it would not do so.
A few minutes later, I could turn it back on.

This happened two more times before I unplugged the computer to prevent the risk of me frying my PC.

I bought a new case and PSU, thinking that it was a fried PSU, and I also thought that I may as well get a new case like I had wanted to if I was pulling my entire PC out of the case to put a new PSU in.

So I now have a Corsair CX750M PSU and a lovely new NZXT case. I have our everything back in, an I am pretty damn sure that everything is plugged in. But now it won't turn on at all! Any ideas on what could be the issue?

I'm assuming motherboard next as I have already tried my PC with the ram disconnected.

As of now:-
New corsair 750w PSU
Gigabyte motherboard with i5 2400 processor
8gb of ballistix ram
XFX 7950
2TB hard drive
120gb SSD

TLDR;
Before the PC would turn on but power itself down randomly. Now, it won't turn on at all after I fitted a new PSU. Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by CloveFD, 29 July 2014 - 05:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Do any of the fans come on? Does anything happen when you press the power button?

Disconnect all non essential hardware, pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no power or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the new case and connect only non essential hardware outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again, you can short the power button pins on the motherboard, don't worry this is exactly what the power button does. Just touch a metal item to both power button pins to try to power the mainboard when outside of the computer case.

While you have the case open if you still have problems, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging+or+blown+capacitors+motherboard&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Iz_YU6aDLsS2yASnjoKwAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1031&bih=603 please report any caps you suspect may be bad, you can take a picture and post here if you are unsure.

From the above description, I suspect you had a heat related issue or power related issue. Bad power supplies can damage components when they fail.

Edited by zingo156, 29 July 2014 - 07:46 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 CloveFD

CloveFD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

I had everything disconnected. Still no dice.

It was just the MB/PSU/CPU plugged in. And no dice at all.

When I plugged a keyboard into the PC it also did not have any of its lights, light up at all . Would this indicate that no power is going through the motherboard and that it has died?

Thanks for the detailed help by the way!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

Did you try both power supplies? Do any of the fans spin? It sounds like it is not getting power. Did you try shorting the power button pins on the mainboard instead of using the power button?

Either you have a power button problem, a bad power supply, a bad motherboard or a bad cpu.

In my experience I see parts fail frequently in this order PSU>Motherboard>Cpu. It was rare to see a bad cpu unless it had been over heating for a long time. Try both power supplies and try turning on without the power button from the case. If you still get nothing, no sign of life at all, we are going to force the psu on.

Follow these instructions to do that: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22 basically it involves shorting the green pin to a black one while having it plugged into the mainboard. Your fans should come on and possibly the computer. Plug in a monitor so you can see a picture or at least plug in a mainboard speaker to listen for post fault codes. If you still get no life then you are down to trying with new components.

If both power supplies you have do the same thing in all tests, my guess is the power supply isn't the problem. It is still possible both are bad... My guess would be a motherboard problem.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 CloveFD

CloveFD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

The idea of manually turning my PSU really worries me haha!

Both PSU's did nothing. I I did buy a new motherboard and that did lead to something new. While before with the old/new PSU and the old motherboard gave me nothing at all,the new PSU and new motherboard did give a small sign of life.

When I used the power button with the new motherboard, it still didn't turn on. However there was a slight crackle sound and a slightly weird smell that seemed to originate from the CPU.

As of now, I have both a new PSU and a new MB, and still no fix. At least that is two components that should be eliminated as potential cause.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

A crackle and strange smell is never a good sign. If it originated near the cpu, you may have a bad cpu. It may have damaged the main board, you could try with a different cpu. You can often find cheap pentium cpu's that are compatible with the same slot to test with. I don't recomend trying a high end chip in a possibly now damaged mainboard.

Manually turning on a power supply is ok to do. Generally it is only something I recomend trying after all other methods of powering on have yielded no results.

#7 CloveFD

CloveFD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

It was a scaletric-like smell. With that little crackle (that worries me a lot)

I was not aware that there were cheap cpu's that would do into the socket 1155! I'll need to get one next to try. Tho is getting quite expensive haha! Oh dear...

I think the PSU might have been done before now, but I was expecting that to be the issue.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yeah they have cheap chips for that socket: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116889&cm_re=socket_1155_celeron-_-19-116-889-_-Product

You could probably find one cheaper used... When you do test, test all ram slots etc. After a short or strange smell anything could have happened.

Also double check that you are plugging the psu-motherboard 4 pin connection in correctly, believe it or not, I have seen people plug it in incorrectly. It is keyed but still possible to force it in incorrectly which will result in no power and possible shorts.

#9 CloveFD

CloveFD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

I might have to hang around before I give it a test then. Already spent more than I had expected to on this!

It did have a bit of life of today after I checked all the connectors. It turned on for a few seconds, before turning itself off, and then on again. And then off.

So it's still essentially dead. I am contemplating just buying a new MB/SSD/CPU in the coming months and just living without it working. It would be expensive however!

Thanks for the help though, I've din itself learnt a bit more about computers through this ordeal!

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

After a crackle and burn smell, you are probably better off replacing the MB and CPU for certain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users