Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot up after using malwarebytes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 rpMasterminD

rpMasterminD

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hey everyone,

I ran malwarebytes on an an Acer computer and after finding over 11, 000 infections and removing them it prompted me to restart. After the restart it will show the windows log then after a few seconds reboot again and go to the windows repair count down

After the count down it scans to see if it can find problems and repair them or restore to a earlier time. It ask me if I would want to restore, I said no by accident. I tried it again and restarted but it will no longer ask to restore it, just says windows can not fix the problem.

Will someone help me please? I have tons of important documents on my computer.

Edited by rpMasterminD, 29 July 2014 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Greetings and :welcome: to BleepingComputer,
My name is xXToffeeXx, but feel free to call me Toffee if it is easier for you. I will be helping you with your malware problems.

A few points to cover before we start:

• Do not run any tools without being instructed to as this makes my job much harder in trying to figure out what you have done.
  • Make sure to read my instructions fully before attempting a step.
  • If you have problems or questions with any of the steps, feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.
  • Please follow the topic by clicking on the "Follow this topic" button, and make sure a tick is in the "receive notifications" and is set to "Instantly". Any replies should be made in this topic by clicking the "Reply to this topic" button.
  • Important information in my posts will often be in bold, make sure to take note of these.
  • I will attempt to reply as soon as possible, and normally within 24 hours of your reply. If this is not possible or I have a delay then I will let you know.
  • I will bump a topic after 3 days of no activity, and then will give you another 2 days to reply before a topic is closed. If you need more time than this please let me know.
  • Lets get going now :thumbup2:

==========================

Hi rpMasterminD,

Malwarebytes had a botched update which deleted the majority of the system32 folder and parts of the registry. This will be difficult to fix, I must admit, and it's possible that reinstalling Windows is the only way to go. The good thing is that your personal files are untouched and if it gets to needing to reinstall then I can give you instructions on how to backup your data.

First of all I need to know what version of windows this is, and also whether you have another computer which is the same version of windows.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 29 July 2014 - 02:49 PM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 rpMasterminD

rpMasterminD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Nice to meet you Toffee,

You can call me RP.  The version of windows I using is windows 7 64bit and yes I have another computer with the same version of windows.

#4 rpMasterminD

rpMasterminD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

is it realistically possible to fix this without resetting?

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,071 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi RP,

Nice to meet you too :)

At this point I cannot say, but so far from what I have seen it may be quicker if you have a flash drive, external USB or CD big enough to transfer your data to do that and then reinstall windows.

If you want to try repairing the current install then our first step is to try a system restore point, to restore your computer to a point before malwarebytes. First follow these instructions to boot into System Recovery Mode, then follow these instructions (from Option Two) to do a system restore.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#6 rpMasterminD

rpMasterminD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

Hey, I decided to back up my files and restore tofactory default. I appreciate everything and your attention,i'll definitely be bookmarking this page.

#7 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,071 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

Hi RP,

That was most definitely the quickest way and you're welcome. I'll close the topic now as resolved.

xXToffeeXx~

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,071 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users