Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Internet security VirtualBox XP host OS and Unbuntu guest OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Richardski

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

I have use Windows XP constantly but am no longer secure on the internet. I was going to partition my hard drive and install Ubuntu so I can safely access the internet and email with Ubuntu. However, there does not seem to be a way to boot both XP and Ubuntu simultaneously and switch back and forth quickly. It seems I have to exit one OS and reboot the other.
Surfing the net I ran across VirtualBox which seems like a great way to run both systems simultaneously. However, I do not know if both operating systems are still completely independent then. Can I install and use Google Chrome in Ubuntu running as a virtual machine, and is XP then immune from hacking?
From an earlier post on this site, "Can XP be hacked if I am logged off from the internet?" I said
"My local computer store technician tells me that if my computer is hard-wired by an Ethernet wire connected to the internet, my computer can still be hacked and a hacker can get into XP even though I do not log onto the internet with XP.
AngryRaisin replied, (Thank you by the way):
"If you disable your internet adapter in the device manager there is almost no chance of getting hacked except for you turning the adapter back on and forgetting that you turned it back on."
That brings up the question as to whether if I turn the internet adapter in the device manager in XP off, will Chrome still work in Ubuntu? What, if any, features of XP does a virtual machine use? I read that the virtual machine cannot directly access the hardware.
I also ran across another possibility – AndLinux at http://www.andlinux.org/. They say,
" andLinux uses coLinux as its core which is confusing for many people. coLinux is a port of the Linux kernel to Windows. Although this technology is a bit like running Linux in a virtual machine, coLinux differs itself by being more of a merger of Windows and the Linux kernel and not an emulated PC, making it more efficient."
Could this be a solution whereby the internet adapter in the device manager in XP is disabled, Chrome still work in Ubuntu. Does anyone know if AndLinux can directly access hardware?

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 12:01 PM.
Moved from Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

save you self a lot of hassle and upgrade to win7

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users