Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet speed the last few days

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tystat

tystat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

We are on a 6mbps internet plan, we have been living here for 1 year and we started getting problems a month or 2 back, it started out being a random disconnection, our devices would randomly loose connection to the internet for a short period. Since a few days ago were getting 2mbps if were lucky it will jump to 3 for a few sec then drop down to 2. We have 2 routers, one is a router/modem and the other one is a netgear, the router/modem came with the internet. If i disconnect the netgear router we get no issues with speed but my parents need the netgear router for its features, some people told me its interference but that makes no since because after 1 year of living here we are just now getting this problem, makes no since, if it was interference then it would have doing this from the start, why is this, if i disconnect the netgear and go off the router/modem then no problem. I dont mind getting rid of the netgear but my parents do, the internet is so slow, cant watch vids without buffering, cant play games due to 300+ping, surfing the web takes longer.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

It may not make sense because the problem is recent but those people could very well be correct.

What you need to do if you want to continue to use the Netgear router is call you internet provider and have the modem/router combo unit put into bridge mode. This will disable the wireless function of the combo unit.

It may work. The only way to know is to do it.

#3 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

How old is the netgear? It might need replacing by the sound of it. I find on average that modems/routers last about 3-5 years, sometimes less as they tend to be on all the time . . .

Regards,
Phil
Linux user     |     #564977

#4 tystat

tystat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Its a netgear N600, not to old, and i would but my parents are stubborn about this, i know how to fix it, turn off the netgear router but my parents says we need it, i dont understand why my dad doesnt just use his wifi adapter, hes right under the router, and my mom plug her printer in her laptop, no one else uses the printer

#5 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Have you done a factory reset on the n600?

Also it occured to me that it could indeed be wireless interference. How close are the neighbors? Have you installed any other wireless gear in vicinity? etc etc.  Apparently the n600 only supports 2.4ghz wireless, although i'm not sure of this. If you can change it to 5ghz - do it, and see if it makes any difference. The 802.11b wireless communication standard operates in the unregulated 2.4 Ghz frequency range. Unfortunately, so do many other devices such as cordless phones and baby monitors which could interfere with your wireless signal.

Regards,
Phil

#6 tystat

tystat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

yes it does support 5ghz but non of our devices work with that, no new stuff, just happened 2 days ago, i dl apb reloaded and was playing that for about a week, got on 2 days ago to play and was not able to play for the lag, disconnected netgear (did this by accendent) and no lag at all, told my parents and they said they needed the netgear, this is so random, and yes i had to factory reset the router due to some issues i had today, another guy tried helping me and made things worse and fixed it by the reset, im so confused of why its just happening, i wish my parents would just loose the netgear router, and another thing, im getting 2-3 mbps, i should still be able to play games with that, seen other people do so, why are my pings so high it feels like dial up, 

#7 Man_1n_Black

Man_1n_Black

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

If everyone in the house is connected via wireless to the netgear, and everyone is doing something online at the same time you may experience slowdowns, have you tried running speedtest.net & pingtest.net with and without the netgear to give you some solid comparison figures. Also for games you realy need to connect to the modem/router with a cable, if you are, and your parents connect via wireless then its either a congestion or interference issue i reckon.

Also how often are these 'random disconnections' - that makes it sound like the isp's fault. I had a friend once who had random disconnections for 6 months or more, when he finally pushed his isp hard enough they found the pit up the road full of water. ( adsl con.) Problem went away with the water.

Edited by Man_1n_Black, 29 July 2014 - 11:39 PM.

Regards,
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users