Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help buying a laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZedClampet

ZedClampet

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Trying to get a laptop for my 9-year-old son.  He wants to play Minecraft, 7 Days to Die and Space Engineers.  I've selected one with an I5 core processor and 8gb of RAM, but am having problems with the graphics card.  I'm seeing 3 options.  Intel HD Mobile.  Intel Integrated, and a Radeon with 2gb of dedicated memory.

Now I'm not a complete idiot :)   I know the Radeon will be best, but it adds about $150 to the price.  So my question is, will these Intel graphics cards be adequate?   He's not trying to play a tricked out Call of Duty or anything.  Just standard games.  I really really don't want to spend more than I have to.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 July 2014 - 02:55 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Intel HD 4000 graphics will suffice for Minecraft, but for 7 Days to Die/Space Engineers/most modern 3D games I'm not so sure. Both of those are Steam Early Access games, which almost always means they've had little if any optimization done to them, so trying to run them on an integrated card would probably be a bad idea. They might run, but they probably wouldn't be playable.

My recommendation would be to go with an AMD processor, as it's far easier to find a lower priced laptop with a dedicated graphics card than with Intel. Otherwise you're either going to have to pay more most likely, or settle for not being able to play those specific games (though it should work fine with many others, especially indie games).

#3 ZedClampet

ZedClampet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

I have taken your advice to heart.  Found a refurbished AMD A8 with 8mb of ram and a dedicated graphics card for $499.  Think that's about as good as I'm going to get.  If I spent that much money on a laptop and it couldn't play his games I would be REALLY angry.  Best to just play it safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users