Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Professional Removal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

I have an interesting or somewhat stupid situation lol.

My XP Professional was damaged by some kind of malware I think.  My techie friend could not fix it so set it aside and installed XP Home Edition.

My question is: Should I keep the damaged Pro around, and if so how do I set it to where it does not come up as a boot choice.  He set is so it did not come up as a boot choice but recently I had a mental meltdown and lost all my OS's so had to use Macrium Reflect to get going again.  Since this it comes up as a choice which is confusing if someone else needs to use my laptop.

Some say ditch it all, and some say keep it around because it performs certain functions that others won't.  I'm pretty conservative so I tend to lean towards keeping at least the Home Edition around in case I have a linux meltdown.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

time to upgrade to win7

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

The folks in Am I Infected may be able to clean your infected Pro install, moving topic to Am I Infected.

Louis

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

time to upgrade to win7

I am already using Linux MInt.  I do have a question though...as usual: I was on Majorgeeks and saw this link "Click here to repair/restore missing windows OS files."

My question is: Is it safe to click on any adds on that site, it seems as though it is a Majorgeek paid advertisement.  I am quite sure that my XP Pro OS is missing files, was just curious to just read this but don't want any troubles lol. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

time to upgrade to win7

I am already using Linux MInt.  I do have a question though...as usual: I was on Majorgeeks and saw this link "Click here to repair/restore missing windows OS files."

My question is: Is it safe to click on any adds on that site, it seems as though it is a Majorgeek paid advertisement.  I am quite sure that my XP Pro OS is missing files, was just curious to just read this but don't want any troubles lol. 

be careful of software in adds on any site even mayjorgeeks ,my opinion

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Good enough for me lol. thanks.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:13 AM

Cat1092, this is the XP Pro that I have just laying around.  This is an extra O.S. that was damaged by some malware and has not been used for a long time.  It is really just taking up space, but I don't know if it is a good idea to remove or not.  I was hoping to fix it because it is what came with laptop, and then get rid of the "XP Home Edition" that I am using now.  I don't care either way now but would like to free up some space and though this would be a good way to do so.  Here it is:

Screenshot-WINDOWSProperties_zps7f253e9c

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:05 AM

My question is: Is it safe to click on any adds on that site, it seems as though it is a Majorgeek paid advertisement. 

To answer this in short order......No! Just because MajorGeeks takes the time to place on their website in pain view that the downloads they host are adware free, it's not cast into stone. And many times they'll redirect to someone who does have it & guess what? Ad supported. It's out of their hands. 

Don't get me wrong, there's a decent forum over there where I got some quality assistance a few times when I badly need it. But like any forum or site, revenue has to come from somewhere, many times in the course of ads. Last time I was on the site, donations were accepted. If someone there were very helpful, I'd rather give $5 than spend an hour or so to restore a backup. Time is money. For those who don't backup, that could be an extremely costly ad. 

Generally speaking, it's considered unsafe to click onto any ad & preferable to go directly to the site itself. They'll likely cut you the same deal or possibly better one, just mention the site where the ad is & explain you don't click onto ads for security reasons. Anyone who tells you on an open forum it's OK to click onto ads, it's best to ignore their advise as a whole. 

Furthermore, haven't you learned anything about this since participating on tech forums? Surely this is covered in Security topics. There's a catch to everything, purchase your software from known well reviewed 3rd party vendors, such as Newegg. You'll get deep discounts there. It may be last year's boxed version & you'll have to update, but who cares? That retail box is worthless. Sure, it may be attractive, but not enough for me to buy a $129 version of software that I can grab at Newegg for $15-30, if it's for a multi PC install, only the first one will need to be upgraded. You then use that file to upgrade the rest, assuming it's the same bit version (example, all of your computers are 64 bit with a 64 bit OS installed). 

Sure you can remove the XP install, but keep in mind that Linux Mint 17 may not boot afterwards, until you install another OS in the place of it. Keep in mind to assign the same Swap partition you're now using (no need to have two Swap partitions on the same computer). The install of the new OS will repair the other. 

Hope this helps, pcpunk!  :thumbup2:

Am under the weather today, fell asleep twice while typing this post.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

I'm not sure you understand, I want to remove an O.S. that is not being used at all.  I want to keep XP Home Edition but uninstall an old damaged OS that is just sitting doing nothing.  It is however a choice to boot at the time of startup though it does nothing if chosen.  Okay good enough, it's not that important, I was just trying to understand the implications of removing it since it is useless as far as I know.

Edited by pcpunk, 04 September 2014 - 04:26 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

You may can remove it, pcpunk, but here's the deal. When you installed Linux Mint, it made an inventory of all of your other OS's (usable or not) & that's why it shows. If you were to remove it, then Mint may or may not boot. That's the chance you're taking, though the Mint bootloader can be repaired. Nick would likely know how to do that if things comes to push or shove. You will need your bootable Mint media just in case something were to go wrong, so if you're going to remove it, be prepared. 

I don't recall seeing that in your GParted snapshot you posted, is this on the same partition? Was it the original OS that came with your notebook, the XP Pro 64 bit you were speaking of? 

I'd say it can be done, like stated above, if you want to gain space, then you can shrink your XP Home install enough to fit a 2nd install of LInux in. Maybe to something like 35GB (GParted can handle this during the install), that may give you enough room, as I recall, your XP partition was 51GB or so, is that correct? If so, and you could free up 16GB, you could create a 10GB main & 6GB home, and as I stated prior, select the same Swap space as before, just make sure you select it, or that OS won't be able to use it. 

The reason I say to make a 10GB Main, is that Mint has been updating like 3-4 times weekly, you don't want to run short on space. Unless you're planning on storing a ton of data, 6GB is enough for Home. Or if you wanted to (the choice is yours), you can run just a Main partition (no Home) & your existing Swap. That way, you're less apt to run low on drive space. And a Home folder is still created, you can backup as needed. 

I highly recommend Linux MInt 17 KDE or Kubuntu 14.04 KDE, they're fantastic OS's & being that you love wallpapers, you'll have a massive collection at your fingertips. KDE is highly polished & a beautiful OS. Just as LInux Mint Mate (main edition), there's a learning curve, but I presume you know that already. And you don't have to be concerned with a silly update that Cinnamon would throw out there to mess up your graphics, making the screen look bad. You know the ropes, run from Live media first. 

I'm going to install Kubuntu 14.04 on my MSI, was going to do it yesterday, but have been sick for the last two days. Am getting over it now. Here's what it looks like. 

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.04

And the Release Notes.

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes#Known_issues

I'd suggest to try a Live image of each & go with the one you like best. But this time & this will help you to see how a 64 bit Linux will run, go with the 64 bit version & see how it goes.  :thumbup2:

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

I don't recall seeing that in your GParted snapshot you posted, is this on the same partition? Was it the original OS that came with your notebook, the XP Pro 64 bit you were speaking of? 

Best of Luck,

Cat

Yes it is on the same partition, just as the file that I showed you in the earlier post, not mounted?, I don't know, I don't really understand how it all works.  Yes it is the original OS that came with the laptop XP Pro 64bit.Screenshot--dev-sda-GParted_zpsd6a0c8c5.

Edited by pcpunk, 04 September 2014 - 10:29 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

I'd chunk it, if there were no plans to reinstall it, I mean really, even though there's many XP users still around, very few are using 64 bit XP today, or even when released. But read my post before proceeding. Both of your XP's are obviously on the same partition, or whomever did the install was sloppy & didn't cleanup. I'd say both, because you had to make space for Linux Mint. XP Pro would have been the first partition, as it was there before XP Home is. Secondly, GParted would show two partitions for Windows, if they were separate. 

This isn't always an easy fix & comes with risk. Not for Linux Mint, it should reboot. But for your XP Home install, doing the wrong thing may render it unbootable. And regardless, you may need your install media for XP Home. You can likely delete all of the XP Pro folders & be OK. It's the removal of the bootloader that may be the issue. 

Before I advise further, you'll need to boot into your XP Home partition. If you have a partitioning tool installed, open it, what does it say? XP Home has to be on the "C" partition" Or it will show when you select "Computer" from the Start Menu. I've see this issue before a couple of times when one deleted the Windows 7 partition & installed Linux Mint w/out cleaning up first. Both times, Windows 7 would show as a boot entry & an "Earlier Version of Windows", which was XP. In both cases, the bcdedit menu wasn't cleaned up. This can be tricky, because you have to know the UUID of each & know for sure you're deleting the right one. And in both cases, I refused to touch these, as I had no idea of who did the work. I know what I would have done before deleting those Windows 7 partitions. Gone into msconfig & made XP the first OS to boot into & reboot (one has to if changes are made). This would have "freed" the Windows 7 bootloader, to make formatting the OS easy & that bootloader wouldn't have shown again. 

And from there, it's possible that XP Home may not boot. Because it was installed second & not first. I don't even know 100% that a repair "in place" install of XP Home will get rid of this. What this does is keeps all of your folders & installed apps, but you'll have to activate/update XP again. 

So from here, I suggest you allow some feedback to flow in as to what to do, as I don't want to be the one who advises you wrong (this UUID stuff can be tricky & as I stated, XP Pro was the first one). Or live with it, if you either cannot get advice on how to purge these XP Pro files & remnant bootloader safely. Again, your XP Home install CD & COA will be needed. THe COA can be found through the Speccy app or Belarc Advisor. If it shows two keys, write both down. Did whomever do the install place a new XP Home COA on the bottom of the notebook? That may be helpful, but not guaranteed, if you can't get up with who installed it. That's why I say, you need your XP Home COA (the key). 

I know this sounds like a royal pain in the backside & that's because it is. It all boils down to if you want to put up with a minor detail or not & if not, be prepared for hours of work. 

It may be that you can safely delete those XP Pro folders & gain space, but again I cannot promise that. Though if you keep this Topic open, you may generate some positive responses. My guess is that you can delete these, but would like for someone to vouch for it. I've see a few things in my days, but not two installs of XP on the same unformatted partition (if it were formatted, the contents would be gone). I don't understand, why your friend took the easy way out. I've never, ever installed an OS (except in-place repair installs) & not format the partition. That would have been better for your now existing XP Home install also. Formatting gets rid of all the leftovers, including possible infections, and also checks for bad blocks, if not too bad, can repair these. 

My techie friend could not fix it so set it aside and installed XP Home Edition.

From what I'm reading, am not so sure of his technical skills. Even you know that when installing Linux Mint, the partitions needs to be formatted. This is an elementary procedure prior to installing any OS. It's my hope that you don't allow whomever this person is to do anymore OS installing, or for that matter, any more computer work for you. Google is your friend, you could have found a good guide & copied it. 

I say keep the Topic alive & see how it goes for a few more days. You need to decide on which Linux version to install, so that provides some time. 

Thing is, this Topic is in the "Am I Infected" section & I'm not free to advise you on creating a new Topic on this matter. It's in the hands of the Malware Response Team as to what to do next & this being the case, you cannot jump all over the forum for advise on the same issue. 

I do hope for a good outcome on this & know what I'd do, given the situation, but your Topic being here places constraints on what you can do. 

Cat

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Boy I just lost a post when the electric went out.  

I got what I need cat thanks for the answer.  I think until my health gets better I will do nothing.  I can create word documents surf the web and email...that's all I really need right now.

I do however need to figure out how to control my HP Printer.  I went to this site to check it out but did not see my printer.  My brain power is not good so will have to look into it more before I can be sure there is no support.  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/recommended.html

I did look all around this site but could not see anything that helped.  I am able to print but cannot make any changes to the printer unless I am in XP.

Screenshot-Printers-localhost_zps2b5632f

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:01 AM

That means it's ready to print. HP printers are in high regard with Linux users, due to ease of install & fairly compatible with most Linux OS's. 

You can get great pricing & free shipping on inks at InkSell.com. Fast delivery too, where I get my Kodak replacement inks from. At WalMart or Office Depot, I'd pay $34 for a set (one color, one B&W inkjet replacement). At InkSell, about $11 for both. Being that I don't print a lot & sometimes the inks dries out before fully used, why pay full price? InkSell has a 3 year warranty on their products, which covers a dried half full tank (on original one bought, not the warranty replacement, unless defective upon receipt). 

http://www.inksell.com/

Looks like all you need to do is print a test page. 

Note that you won't have all of the functions of your HP printer on Linux as on Windows. This is because the software was written for Windows & not Linux. It's not a fault of the printer, nor your Linux distro, it's that Linux usershare hasn't grown to the point that Linux software is included to print photos & perform the advanced features of the printer. Yours will likely print better than mine, because HP is about the best for Linux. My Kodak wastes a lot of B&W ink on Linux, but again, I don't print much anymore. You can opt to save anything you want in your Documents folder, transfer it to a Flash drive & print from Windows, if needed. To do so, click Print, only it'll be saved as PDF, 

I recommend that you at least try it once, it may be fine. 

Cat

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

My quote from previous post:  "I do however need to figure out how to control my HP Printer."  "I am able to print but cannot make any changes to the printer unless I am in XP."

Printing is fine I just want to be able to make changes to the settings if needed.  Recently I changed the ink output with windows as I was  having the same issues as you, to much B&W ink.  Now I am guessing that it will be set to do this in Linux also as it is a Printer setting not anything to do with the O.S.

I need the HP Solution Center for Linux, I think that is what it is called.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users