Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Search & Destroy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

I have just installed Spybot and run a scan. It only found two minor items of real risk, which I quarantined, but listed over 120 tacking cookies which I ignored as irrelevant for now. Perhaps next time I may pay them more attention.

Question ?

I use Chrome all the time as my default browser and Spybot seems to concentrate totally on IE, Firefox and Windows. I never saw a single mention of Chrome during the scan. What use is Spybot to a Chrome user ? Whether I keep it will depend entirely on your comments.

I almost never use IE and Firefox, although I do keep them updated, so all threats will originate from Chrome.

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2014 - 12:04 PM.
Moved from MRL to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

Which version of Spybot are you using? Spybot 2 + AV (Home & Pro), Spybot 2 Free, Spybot S&D

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

Which version of Spybot are you using? Spybot 2 + AV (Home & Pro), Spybot 2 Free, Spybot S&D

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

Thank you so much for your post. Every one of your comments are always of enormous help.

My Spybot is the free version 2.4.40.0 and shows start centre 2.4.40.130.

It is looking fairly conclusive to me that Spybot is no use at all unless you use IE and Firefox. Why they concentrate on browsers I will never understand when all other malware programs simply scan the Memory, Registry and system files. Sounds crazy to me.

It does not matter how many gates a property has where an intruder can gain access, the important issue is ensuring that the property has no uninvited guests. You scan the property not the gates.

Spybot consistently nag for donations, but with such a restricted attitude on scanning for malware, I cannot see many donors around.

Quite honestly, unless some new angle is  forthcoming on Spybot, I will have the greatest pleasure in dumping it as useless.

Edited by Beaker77, 30 July 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

I used Spybot S&D years ago but stopped with the release of Malwarebytes Anti-malware. I have not tested any of the newer versions but based on reports from other users, it's not a tool I would consider using again. Thus, I would remove it too.

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

I used Spybot S&D years ago but stopped with the release of Malwarebytes Anti-malware. I have not tested any of the newer versions but based on reports from other users, it's not a tool I would consider using again. Thus, I would remove it too.

Thanks again for your expertise and logic.

I will not use Spybot for scans, it is pointless. But the program has got some very interesting and otherwise hard to find sub data under "Advanced Tools" and Startup Tools". For this only, I will keep it as a data reference. The  part-screenshot shown is listing "Autoruns", the other selections show similar data under their titles.

Bxpxlqe.jpg

Edited by Beaker77, 30 July 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

AutoRuns shows the currently configured auto-start applications as well as the full list of registry and file system locations available for auto-start configuration. Autostart locations displayed by Autoruns include Logon entries, Explorer add-ons, Internet Explorer add-ons and Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), Appinit DLLs, image hijacks, Boot Execute Images, Winlogon Notification DLLs, Scheduled Tasks, Windows Services and Winsock Layered Service Providers. Autoruns allows for managing (enable/disable) auto-start applications, viewing the Local System account’s profile, exporting logs and includes an option to Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries. AutoRuns is a tool for advanced users since it does not have the ability to recognize unsafe or dangerous items...it only displays what it finds.

bb963902.20130531_Autoruns_v11.6(en-us,M

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

@ Quietman

Thanks again. I have installed AutoRuns on my desktop and will use that instead of Spybot.

Spybot has gone now,  every last bit of it cleared out by Revo Uninstaller, I will leave it to the few users who still use IE and of course the many users who use Firefox.

You may close the thread as far as I am concerned, or just keep it open to  see what other comments come along for general interest.

Edited by Beaker77, 30 July 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

You're welcome. :thumbup2:

As a general rule BleepingComputer does not close (lock) topics in this forum. An exception to that rule is malware related topics...we close topics when a member has been asked to (and does) start a new topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum and posts the required logs.

#9 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:03 AM

To conclude.

Members of the Spybot Forum Advisory Team have confirmed that " Chrome isn't supported yet."

So for Chrome users, if you have Spybot - get rid of it and if you have not got Spybot - don`t get it.

​When uninstalling Spybot you must do these two things before you start :-

1. Either delete all items in Quarantine or restore them and let another program pick them up if they are valid.
2. Undo the Immunization - this is very important. With the Spybot Immunization, it effectively blocks over 300,000 files and if left undone will cause many problems.

Note :- I always use Revo Uninstaller. This  program is excellent and firstly uses the legitimate normal uninstall program, but then searches for left-overs and in the case of Spybot, there are many.

very important point using Revo Uninstaller is that when the normal uninstall program has been executed, a panel may come up  asking for a re-boot - ingnore this and hit the "X", otherwise you will disrupt the progress of Revo Uninstaller and all the left-overs will be left over. This popup panel is from the original uninstall program and nothing to do with Revo. It is very misleading and tempting to action, dump it !

As there are quite a few browsers available for use, a program that  concentrates exclusively on browsers is not a lot of use. It is a never ending fight to keep up with new threats, the introduction of keeping up with browsers as well is a self inflicted wound which is unnecessary.

@ Qiuetman

I have had SpywareBlaster installed for years. You don`t see it or know it is there, but it does a fine job and is a free protective credit to any system.

Edited by Beaker77, 31 July 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

Spybot's Immunization adds a large number of sites known to contain malicious or unwanted software in the restricted zone. A better alternative is to use SpywareBlaster which does the same job on a larger scale. In previous versions Spybot would tell you if SpywareBlaster was installed on your computer that it offered more control over your settings by letting you add and remove sites very easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users