Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on buying a new 15 inch work station / gaming laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kdonkov

kdonkov

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hello everybody,
Hopefully i am in the right place.
I went through a few lists here and there about good/excelent pc forums and i stumbled upon BC's forums. My trust is in your hands guys.

Let's get straight down to it. I will be studying abroad this upcoming fall. My course is very broad and involves anything from programing to drawing, animation, modeling and so on and so on... For this i require my own laptop, on which I can work during my semesters.
The thing is I am a "newbie" when it comes to workstation grade laptops vs gaming ones.
Before I explain exactly what I intend to do with the new machine, could somebody please clarify to me exactly what the differences between the two are and what sort of advantages/disadvantages I need to keep in mind when it comes to either one of the two kinds.

At this moment I am not exactly 100% sure what kind of software I will be working with, even though my university focuses on using such, which is as close to what I would be using after graduating as possible. For that reason I can't say exactly how powerful I need the laptop to be but at least I do have some sort of guideline, which will determine it's parts-my budget. It is about 1500 to 1700 british pounds or around 2500-2800
US dollars.
Of course I don't have to spend that much if not needed but that's the limit for this purchase.
With the laptop I intend to do some work in my free time which will include SFX, programming, animation work and anything in between. Of course as a gamer I willw ant to spend a little of my free time slaying monsters/players and delving into the secret world of games.
At times I will probably do a little or a lot of rendering, which will put my cpu at the test but at the same time i do require a strong graphics card in irder to be able to recreate colors as closely as possible to the real thing. I want them to be as natural as possible when doing art work or anything related. I am deffinately going to be running a few programs at the same time during my studying so the more ram the better. Most importantly I absolutely need an SSD...for self explanatory reasons.

Everything else is what it is. I do not neccessarely want a pre-build laptop (such as the ones in pc shops with set parts and a set price already). I don't mind going to a website and building my own laptop with parts I want specifically to be inside and then having it shipped to me.

I think this basically covers everything. If anybody could help me and point me in the right direction that'd be superb!
Thank you everybody in advance.

Edited by kdonkov, 29 July 2014 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

My first thought is MSI.

Get one of their new gaming systems (there are some really nice ones) and it should be able to do anything that you listed with ease.

Find one with the new 880M Graphics, an i7, 8 or 16 GB of RAM, and you will probably want one with an SSD as well. For all that youre looking at around 1600-1800 (maybe brushing 2000) USD.

See here, you can use that for a while then easily upgrade to an SSD later on and upgrade RAM fairly easily if you want to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users