Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - Audio File Attributes Not Displaying

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HiFiSi

HiFiSi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

I cannot get my music files to show their attributes (artist, genre, etc.) in the detail view of My Music folder. They have all the proper tags in the WMP library. When viewing a music file's properties, there are no options to give them those attributes under the summary tab. I used to be able to view these attributes in the My Music folder, but I just realized I can no longer do so.

Also, none of my special folders have the customize tab in the properties dialogue box. These may not be meant to have the customize tab, I can't remember. I used the Tweak UI application to create a new My Music folder to see if that was the problem, But it didn't fix either problem.

What should I try next?

Here's a couple of pics:

1: this shows the detail view and properties dialogue box that have the missing attributes -

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/HiFiSi/MyMusic2.jpg

2: this shows the My Music folder properties dialogue box abd the non-existent customize tab. (same for pics, videos, and docs folders) -

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/HiFiSi/MyMusic3.jpg

Here's a pic from my work computer, which shows these files do in fact have all the correct attributes. I copied all these files to my work computer and the folder shows all their attributes as well as the properties dialogue box. This leads me to believe there is a prob lem with the settings on my home PC rather than a problem with the files.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/HiF...orkcomputer.jpg

Any suggestions?

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 June 2006 - 11:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HiFiSi

HiFiSi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

Anyone have a clue?

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:13 PM

Hello HiFiSi.
Sytem folders such as My Music, My Documents, Program Files, etc, do not have a customize tab, that is normal. However, any subfolders should. Is this a system wide problem or just the folders you've created?
Check a few others to confirm.

#4 HiFiSi

HiFiSi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, I fugured the customize tab wasn't on those folders to begin with, but I couldn't remember if I was right or not. As for the file attributes issue, it's the same in any folder, even a newly created one. The files do have the correct attributes with them because they display on my work computer correctly. They just don't appear on my home computer.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

Those subfolders you created should have a customize tab. Lets start there for the moment.
Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shellex \ PropertySheetHandlers.
Click the + next to PropertySheetHandlers. Below should be the subkey {ef43ecfe-2ab9-4632-bf21-58909dd177f0}
If it is not there, right click the PropertySheetHandlers folder and select New>Key.
Right click on "New Key" and select "rename"
Copy and paste the above value as the new keys name.
Exit the registry and reboot. You should have the customize tab back on non-system folders now.
Let me know

#6 HiFiSi

HiFiSi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 04:46 PM

No, all the non-system folders have the customize tab, including the ones inside the system folders. I just wasn't sure if the actual system folders themselves were supposed to have them or not. Apparently they're not.

Now I still have the file attribute problem. And I have no idea where to start with this one.

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:21 AM

Do you have any other audio players installed other then WMP and is WMP set as your default player?
Also, were these mp3's created with WMP?

#8 HiFiSi

HiFiSi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

No other players, and WMP is the default player. I'd say about half of them were created with WMP. The rest I downloaded, so I don't really know about them.

#9 HiFiSi

HiFiSi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:24 PM

bump

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:20 PM

bump

I haven't given up on you "yet" :thumbsup:
But I'll be honest, it's a weird one.
The only time I've seen metadata lost like that in an audio file was when it was transfered between different file structures (i.e. fat32 to ntfs and vice versa).
You said you used to be able to view this info but now you can't, so I dismissed it as a possibility.
I'll only ask you one more silly question.
Are the two computers, one that can read the metadata and the one that cant using different files structures?
(i.e. 1 fat32, 1 ntfs)
If you don't mind, download and install MP3Tag, it's free. Use it on one of your mp3 files. Let me know.

#11 HiFiSi

HiFiSi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:38 PM

Yeah. MP3Tag shows the files contain the metadata. It just doesn't show in the folder or properties. As for the file structure issue, I don't know. Both PC's are runing XP Media Center Edition, which would leave me to believe they're both the same. I guess. My home PC (the one with the problem) is NTFS. I'kll check my work computer tomorrow.

#12 HiFiSi

HiFiSi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

It's NTFS as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users