Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Search Cache Spawns SSL Fear

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:58 PM

It's proving tougher than anticipated to protect SSL VPNs from the voracious caching machine housed inside Google Desktop Search. By Tim Greene Network World, 11/22/04 The search tool, which is in beta, still manages to store and leave in the open certain SSL VPN data despite the best efforts of tools to curb the search engine's activity. Customers are concerned that SSL VPN data might be cached and indexed by Google Desktop Search on a machine that is out of corporate control, such as an employee's home PC or one borrowed by an employee visiting a business associate. "It would be a horrible thing to think that there was a trail being left behind of what went on in what we regarded as secure SSL VPNs," says Jim Abshire, manager of operations and systems development at Herr Foods in Nottingham, Pa., which uses Netilla SSL VPN gear.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 05:04 PM

It's definately a scary thought,but you'd be surprised at the amount of info Google collects.A few creative searches :thumbsup: and i've gotten admin/webmaster passwords,e-mails with PayPal and Ebay account info,FTP and SQL logins and passwords.Google is the greatest at finding things,but in the wrong hands it can be a corporations undoing.

Disclaimer: NO I will not tell you how to use Google this way.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 05:20 PM

GOOD for YOU RAW

Too many of us already know how to persue those kinds of searches.

(And NO I'll not give up that info either!)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users