Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Same spec desktop vs laptop performance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 black8ball

black8ball

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:03 AM

Hello! I am new to IT world so could you please help me to understand is there any difference between the realistic performance of laptop and desktop if the technical specs are the same? I understand that laptop will be x3 more expensive that it will heat easily and that desktop is better for gaming. Some say that games don t run smooth on laptops even if they have recommended specs... so if the theoretichal specs of desk and laptop are equal could the realictic performance (let s say for gaming) be noticable? To not compare on different levels lets say laptop price is around 2000$ i7 processor 2.5 GHz / 2GB GeForce GTX 860M / 16 GB ram

Regards, black8ball

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

definitely desktop. there is no question about it.  the only that I (if i was buying) will go for laptop is its mobility but for all the other reasons desktop

#3 black8ball

black8ball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

definitely desktop. there is no question about it.  the only that I (if i was buying) will go for laptop is its mobility but for all the other reasons desktop

thanks for replay but what makes desktop a better performer than laptop if the specs are the same?

#4 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

thanks for replay but what makes desktop a better performer than laptop if the specs are the same?

desktop:

1- Better Performance: it's no secret that a desktop i7 processor with the same specs is better than a mobile one. the reason is a mobile cpu is less power hungry than a desktop cpu, however more power means better performance!

2- Heat: with the right choice of case and cooling system you can reduce heat which will help in better performance. but with a laptop you have a packed device with a small fan and a heatsink which has to transfer heat from both cpu and gpu. off course it is optimized to generate less heat but that leads to worse performance than a similar desktop pc..

3- Easy Upgrade: let's say sometime in the future you want to add another graphic; well you can easily do that with a desktop and can't ever do that with a laptop

4- Easy Cleaning: if you are in a dusty environment, cleaning your computer every now and then is crucial in getting the best out of it.

5- Price: i'm not exactly sure if desktop price is better but at least in my country that's the case

laptop:

1- laptop is mobile, you can take it with you and use it anywhere

2- laptop consumes less energy so your energy bill will be less than using desktop

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

If the specs are the same the performance will be roughly the same.  However unless you have a desktop which uses laptop parts (some of the ultra small form factor "desktops") typically specs will not be the same.

For example, you mention a Geforce GTX 860M.  It's difficult to say what is an equivalent desktop GPU, but on numbering scheme lets assume it's a Geforce GTX 760, which is a $2-300 card.  Now compare the two (ignore the odd 3D Mark scores which are incorrect on the GTX 860M and concentrate on the real game tests) and it's quite clear that the GTX 760 desktop version is a more powerful GPU.

Or for CPU compare the i7-4710HQ (2.5 Ghz) vs the i7-4790 which is the most affordable desktop i7 in the current line up.  It's surprisingly close and the laptop processor is really quite impressive for it's power consumption, but ultimately the desktop i7 is the faster of the two.

Obviously in design terms there are different considerations.  A high end desktop GPU can draw upwards of 200 watts at full load.  You cannot have that on a laptop, because of the need to power it from a battery, and heat issues in such a confined space.

Edited by jonuk76, 29 July 2014 - 08:50 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

A desktop pc with a high spec CPU, video card and RAM, and an expensive motherboard with lots of electronics on it, will perform much better than a desktop pc with the same video card, CPU and RAM, that has a cheap motherboard. I discovered this many years ago when I built a ''high spec'' desktop pc, but didn't realise that I needed a high spec motherboard as well as video card, RAM and CPU, then wondered why it wasn't nearly as fast as I thought it would be. Replacing the cheap, lightweight motherboard, with a much better heavier one with more electronics on it, made all the difference.

So I would suggest perhaps taking the motherboard into account, as well as the CPU, RAM and video card, and consider the space and weight limitations in laptops.

Edited by Al1000, 29 July 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#7 black8ball

black8ball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

So the main differences which boosts desktop performance vs laptop are power and cooling system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users