Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Network Connection & Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address 169.254.xxx.xxx

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:35 AM

Hi Everyone

Having problems solving this issue with network connectivity. It's a co-workers PC (a Toshiba All-in-One running Windows 8.1) with multiple users so I don't know the history of how this happened. He said he thought there was a virus and he couldn't connect through wireless. I tried to connect it to my wi-fi and got a limited connection, but no internet access. I tried with Ethernet and got the same result.

I ran ipconfig /all and got this returned:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . .       . . : FAMILY
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . .     . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . .         . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . .          : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . .      . . : 60-6C-66-C5-82-5E
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . .     . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled .  . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . .          : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . .           : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
   Physical Address. . . . . . . .       . : 60-6C-66-C5-82-61
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . .      . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . .              . : Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230
   Physical Address. . . . . .         .  . . : 60-6C-66-C5-82-5D
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . .         . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . .   .  . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . .       : fe80::f452:d71d:fa97:f93c%4(Preferred)
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.249.60(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . .           . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . .           . : 73428070
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . .      . : 00-01-00-01-19-41-0E-FA-00-8C-FA-4D-B3-43

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . .           . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                                          fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                                          fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. .    .     . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . .               : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . .           . . : 00-8C-FA-4D-B3-43
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . .          . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled .     . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . .        . : fe80::ed37:1a7b:d011:6d96%3(Preferred)
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address   . : 169.254.109.150(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . .            : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . .            : 251694330
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . .       . : 00-01-00-01-19-41-0E-FA-00-8C-FA-4D-B3-43

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . .            . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                                           fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                                           fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . .         . : Enabled

Obviously the items in red aren't right!

I thought maybe this was virus related so I ran Adwcleaner and cleaned all findings, but it didn't fix the connection problem. I did some searching and found many different fixes for similar, but not identical problems. Closest one was the fix described here, but those commands had no effect at all, not to mention that I couldn't leave DHCP disabled.

I checked Internet Options for Proxy Server and it was unchecked.

I ran this IP Flush batch file in an elevated CMD:  ipconfig /flushdns
                                                                              ipconfig /registerdns
                                                                              ipconfig /release
                                                                              ipconfig /renew
                                                                              netsh winsosk reset

also tried  netsh int ip reset

I ran Complete Internet Repair from Rizonesoft, a tool that has helped me in the past, but not this time....

I cannot connect to my router by typing it's address in a browser using either connection

I've tried a static IP Address on both connections to no avail

I checked the hosts file and found two entries of 127.0.0.1 pointing to somebswebsite.com (not really the site name, but I didn't record the actual name) so I changed the entries back to localhost. Still no effect

Hopefully I haven't made things worse by taking these blind stabs at it, but since nothing has changed at all, I not sure if any of it really made any difference whatsoever. Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all help I receive. I trust that someone here will have the fix for me. If it still appears to be a virus/adware issue, please help in moving this topic to the correct forum. Thanks again

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

This right here is an issue: "127.0.0.1 pointing to somebswebsite.com." 127.0.0.1 is the loopback address for your PC. If it points to anything other than localhost, then your computer is configured to either block that website, or in the case where you're hosting a website but haven't made it public, it allows you to access the site pages on your computer.

When you enter that URL, the request will loop back to your PC rather than send out a DNS request for that site. The fact that your IP address begins with 169.254.x.x means you have defaulted to the APIPA address, so you have no connection to your router.

If you ping localhost, what happens? If you ping 127.0.0.1, what happens?

Unfortunately, editing the hosts file in Windows 8.1 isn't very straightforward. Your antivirus is probably blocking you from editing it, amd overwriting the file isn't permitted. There are some special steps you need to take:

http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-edit-host-file-in-windows-8-1-8

http://www.petri.com/edit-hosts-file-windows-8.htm

You may also want to test your TCP/IP stack to make sure it's properly configured: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

Hi sflstechguy, and thanks for your help.

This PCs owners are basic users and not very techie, so I'm sure there should be nothing in the hosts file besides 127.0.0.1, which I had already changed to point at localhost. But just to be sure, I checked again and it is still correct.    i.e.

127.0.0.1          localhost

127.0.0.1          localhost

being the only lines not remarked out.

Pinging localhost I get 4 returns of "general failure"

Pinging 127.0.0.1 I get 4 returns of "general failure"

Instead of testing the TCP/IP stack, I went straight for the repair using these instructions

1. Windows 8 users press [Windows Key] + [X] and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. At the command prompt type: netsh winsock reset catalog and press [Enter].
  3. Next type: netsh int ip reset reset.log and press [Enter].
  4. Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.

This had no effect either. If this isn't what you meant, or if you think I should perform all the tests outlined at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790 ,then please let me know. However, some of those tests didn't seem relevant or helpful (some I knew were going to fail)

Anyways, thanks again for your help, and sorry for the long delay in responding. Had a 12+ hour workday and in the middle of trying to buy a house! busy busy busy

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

That's OK. We all have days like that. :)
Yes, go ahead and run all the tests in the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790 link.
The fact that pinging the loopback address failed indicates there's something seriously wrong with the TCP/IP configuration. Now we just need to figure out what.

#5 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

Finally back at it......

Following all the steps in order from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790:

Cannot ping another computer on my network using its IP address. I get a return of:

PING: transmit failed: General failure

Ping Statistics for 192.168.1.70:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Pinging the same computer by its host name, I get a return of:

Ping request could not find host patty-pc. Please check the name and try again

Spent a lot of time looking around in Event Viewer but never found anything about DHCP errors. There were NetBT errors, but it's the same error and it's been happening for over a year, so I'm pretty sure that is irrelevant. If you need more info about it or anything else in Event Viewer, I may need some help in locating it.

The ipconfig data is in the op and neither adapter's configuration has changed (wireless or Ethernet)

Next thing it says to do is ping the loopback address. Again,no change from results listed in op.

Then it says:If you receive an error message at this point, there may be a communication problem between Windows NT and your network adapter. No kidding....To correct this problem, remove and reinstall your network adapter driver. To do so, follow these steps:  However, these instructions don't appear to be for Win8. Nonetheless, I went to Device Manager and uninstalled both adapters and restarted the PC. I believe this is what they wanted. Upon restarting, Windows found and reinstalled both adapters. It asked for my wi-fi password again, so I know something got reset! Odd how it sees my wi-fi and accepts the password but is still borked. I ran ipconfig again and got the same results except the IPv4 addresses for ethernet and wireless changed to 169.254.132.63 and 169.254.49.27 respectively. This whole section I believe I may have done wrong because steps 5-9 kinda never happened. If so, please enlighten me as to what they really wanted, and how to go about it in Win8 (I have very little experience with it, Win7 on all my computers)

Ran arp -a and it returned: No ARP Entries Found

Ran route print and it returned the following:

===========================================================================
Interface List
 16...60 6c 66 c5 82 5e ......Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
 10...60 6c 66 c5 82 5d ......Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230
  6...00 8c fa 4d b3 43 ......Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  4...60 6c 66 c5 82 61 ......Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
  1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1

IPv4 Route Table
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
              127.0.0.0              255.0.0.0         On-link              127.0.0.1    306
              127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link              127.0.0.1    306
    27.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link              127.0.0.1    306
          169.254.0.0          255.255.0.0         On-link    169.254.132.63    276
          169.254.0.0          255.255.0.0         On-link      169.254.49.27    281
      169.254.49.27  255.255.255.255         On-link      169.254.49.27    281
    169.254.132.63  255.255.255.255         On-link    169.254.132.63    276
  169.254.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link    169.254.132.63    276
  169.254.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      169.254.49.27    281
              224.0.0.0              240.0.0.0         On-link              127.0.0.1    306
              224.0.0.0              240.0.0.0         On-link    169.254.132.63    276
              224.0.0.0              240.0.0.0         On-link      169.254.49.27    281
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link              127.0.0.1    306
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link    169.254.132.63    276
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link      169.254.49.27    281
Persistent Routes:
  None

IPv6 Route Table
Active Routes:
 If Metric Network Destination      Gateway
   1    306 ::1/128                           On-link
   6    276 fe80::/64                        On-link
 10    281 fe80::/64                        On-link
   6    276 fe80::bd4c:26bd:ef5f:843f/128
                                                      On-link
 10    281 fe80::d043:c4d5:f4e2:311b/128
                                                      On-link
   1    306 ff00::/8                           On-link
   6    276 ff00::/8                           On-link
 10    281 ff00::/8                           On-link
Persistent Routes:
  None

Not sure how to read any of that. Getting into areas of networking I know nothing about....

The next sections on that page;

Use the TRACERT Command,

Verify Server Services on the Other Computer,

Check IP Security on the Server,

Unable to Connect to a Specific Host or NETBios Name

are irrelevant because I can't ping any IP address at all.

Rechecked the hosts file: One entry for: 127.0.0.1     localhost

Next on the list is

Check Your Domain Name Service (DNS) Configuration

Again, irrelevant because I can't ping any IP address at all. However, I decided to set up a static address again and re-check connectivity. I have U-Verse and the primary DNS is the default gateway, so when I entered all the static IP info and enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP, the adapter's icon changed from "Unidentified Network" to my Network's name. Odd that it now know my network name, but still can't ping the default gateway/DNS or any IP address on my netwotk. Hmmmm..... Switched it all back to DHCP to continue testing. (Unidentified Network again...)

There is no lmhosts file in %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder, only the sample file.

And finally, there is no WINS server on my network.

Hopefully you can make sense of all this. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I got stumped with this same thing a few years ago and couldn't fix it then either. They didn't have much on their computer, so a format and re-install was eventually the fix. I don't like using the nuclear option unless I have to, especially when it was just this one thing. That felt like buying a new car because the ashtray was full in the old one!! But they got a fresh zoomy WinXP out of it so they were happy.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Then it says:If you receive an error message at this point, there may be a communication problem between Windows NT and your network adapter. No kidding....To correct this problem, remove and reinstall your network adapter driver.

I believe this is the key right here. You uninstalled and reinstalled the adapters, which should have reinstalled the drivers. The fact that the problem persists means the NIC drivers that are already installed are probably bad and need to be replaced.

Download the wireless driver from Toshiba http://www.official-drivers.com/downloadcenter/toshiba-drivers/. If you can't find it there, check the website of whoever manufacturered that particular wireless device. Go back to Device Manager, find the wireless adapter, right-click it, and select Update Driver Software. Select the Browse My Computer option and navigate to wherever you saved the downloaded driver.

If that doesn't work, then the wireless NIC itself is bad  -- the fact that the computer couldn't ping its own IP address is usually an indication that the network interface card is malfunctioning. If the new drivers don't fix the issue, install a new wireless card.

Have you tried connecting the computer to the router using an Ethernet cable again? Can it connect that way? If not, go through the same process of uninstalling an reinstalling the Ethernet card. If that doesn't fix it, download and install the drivers for it, just like for the wireless card. And while it is highly unusual that this could be the case, if new drivers don't fix it, install a new Ethernet NIC.

If none of the above works, then it's an internal hardware issue that you can't fix. Have them send it in to a qualified Toshiba repair place.

EDIT: As soon as I hit the Post button, I remembered you are working on a Toshiba all in one, so getting to and replacing the wireless and Ethernet NICs would be a major pain -- better to just take it to a repair place, or try using a USB wireless adapter and/or USB Ethernet adapter. Not very elegant, but if it works...

Edited by sflatechguy, 02 August 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#7 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

I removed the wireless adapter (checking the box to delete driver software too) from within Device Manager. Did the same with the Ethernet adapter, although there was no option to delete drivers. I rescanned for hardware changes and it found both adapters and installed drivers for them. I updated the driver software for both adapters with the latest versions available on the Toshiba website. It liked and installed both updated versions (informed me with a tiny pop-up message indicating newer version found). So knowing the driver updates were successful, I crossed my fingers and tried to connect with them. Alas, I still have the same problem. Checking the status details of either adapter, I find the exact same info as before, with only the Autoconfiguration IPv4 addresses having changed. 169.254.x.x

I, like you, find it hard to believe that both adapters went south at the same time. Could a virus have physically damaged both adapters? Even the Ethernet adapter, which they never used? Could the virus have damaged some part of Windows that is needed to connect with the adapters properly? I think I've reset or refreshed everything possible regarding the TCP/IP protocol. Is there some other area/function within Windows that may need reset or refreshed? If it's a Windows thing, I think a USB Wi-fi adapter will have the same problem. I will try to round one up and install it anyway, just to be thorough. Pardon my ignorance if I'm talking nonsense, you're talking to a networking rookie here, being self-taught about everything computers. I just hate not being able to fix things. Its in my DNA!!

Thanks again Sir, I'll repost after I try a USB adapter

Edited by PanickyD, 02 August 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

If the updated drivers installed and its still not connecting, its almost definitely a hardware issue.
As for both going out at once, was there a power surge or electrical storm about the time they went out?
Try the USB options. If there are no other system issues with the PC, it may be something on the motherboard that will require higher-level servicing.

#9 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Ugghh. Bummer.

It might be a day or two, but I'll re-post with the USB results.

Until then.....

#10 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

Turns out, they were still within their one-year warranty period. Gonna take it back and let them determine if it's software or hardware. I'll re-post when I find out.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

Lucky break for them. And you.

#12 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:18 PM

I advised them to back up their stuff before taking it to the repair shop. One month left on their warranty and they haven't done it yet. The clock is ticking......

#13 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

Finally got some news about this thing. They took it to Geek Squad (with one week of warranty left!) and they said they connected through ethernet, but not wifi. I highly doubt that, because I still can't connect with ethernet at my house, using dhcp or static address. I think they lied to them to get them to enroll in their support service for $200. They said the computer had over 100 viruses and not covered under warranty. This I can believe. I'm going to run the usual suite of tools and see what I find. If this is all really virus related, I may need to have this thread moved to the malware removal section. I'll post again after that and after trying a USB adapter.

Edited by PanickyD, 01 November 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

Try running this program from the troubled computer. A USB flash drive is needed to transfer the report. Let's double check some entries just in case. Alternately, go to device manager - click View Menu - show hidden devices then expand Non plug and play. Check for any exclamation or flags if the is any.

Download then run Farbar Service Scanner and checkmark all boxes.
Click Scan and then a Notepad text will open. Copy-Paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#15 PanickyD

PanickyD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:00 AM

Hi jhayz,

thanks for your help.

When you say "Try running this program....", did you mean Farbar, or something else? Just wasn't sure if you meant to link to something else there in that first sentence. It's late tonight, so I'll do this tomorrow when I get home from work.

Thanks again

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users