Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome 'false extensions'

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

Not sure of where to post this, so I thought I'd share it here. Since it concerns the Google Chrome browser.

According to Google staffers over on Google's products forums, they're working on some software that is to automatically start whyen Chrome does, it is called 'Google Voice Search Hotword {Beta}' THIS IS A ROGUE EXTENSION; Google has verified they are working on such software, but it is NOT to automatically start up when Chrome does, UNLESS it is set to do so in the settings menu.

So, After getting it on my own machine, a fake extension name and all, I went on the web to various locations until figuring out what to look for to remove it. I took the following steps exactly.

1. Searched "how to remove {topic}"; found the following site for windowsexeallkiller
  2. found the filepath exactly as I thought it to look
  3. searched through my C:\ drive for the file and folders belonging to it.
  4. removed the parent folder from my system drive via deletion and emptying the recycle bin
  5. Ran MBAM {after updating}
  6. Ran MSE
  7. Restarted Chrome after each virus scan

So far so good, everything is clean and green. However, if you try to continue using Chrome after removing the file {but before scanning} more fake extensions will try to start on your system as thyey show up in the Google Task Manager.

Like I said before, not sure of where to post this, so here it is. If it is in the wrong place, mods, please move it to the proper area.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users