Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgot administrator password

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Queenkaye

Queenkaye

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Hello I am not savvy on computers at all. I have forgotten my administrator password and my kids (main users on the computer) keep getting AVG threat alerts popping up. I can't heal the threats because my password is required. I have tried hitting F8 at start up but nothing works in safe mode. I'm actually very confused and would like clear and simple to understand instructions on how to fix this. I did not make a password reset disk so I'm lost. Thanks so much for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 morris88

morris88

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

Unfortunately with out this and the password reset disk there may not be an easy way to get around this problem with out doing a fresh install of the operating system on the pc.

In this instance I would recommend seeking professional help from a computer store/technician. 

#3 bergynator

bergynator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

A computer technician will be able to recover your admin password without having to do a clean install of Win7

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

Hello,

You can activate the Administrator Account offline using a bootable disk. Do not reset any passwords. Only activate the Administrator Account and work from there.

Edit: If you can get to a prompt in a normal account try this first. Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator.

At the prompt type

net user administrator /active:yes

Logout of the account. You should see the Adminsitrator account. If not reboot. Then use this account to clean the computer. After set back the adminstrator account by typing

net user administrator /active:no

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 July 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#5 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

OR you can just use Offline Windows NT Password & Registry Editor. It very simple to use with many documents on how to use it. 

Simple, as asked for.

It will reset your password. I just hope you don't have encrypted documents on there.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users