Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb device over current status detected will shutdown in 15 seconds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kristiansp5

kristiansp5

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Ok so today I received all my new PC parts for my build. I set everything up in about 2-3 hours as it was my first build and I ran the test booth. I connected a VGA cable to the motherboard and to the monitor and what appeared was ''usb device over current status detected will shutdown in 15 seconds'. I proceeded to remove every single USB cable from the motherboard but the problem still persisted. I therefore guess it's a problem with the main motherboard usb slots. 

Anywho, I then, while still having all the front usb cables unplugged from the motherboard unplugged every single USB device I had., even the VGA cable but the problem still persists. The trick is, sometimes it comes up and sometimes it dosen't. Sometimes it boots me into some menu thing with startup,nas or such since I have no operating system. 

I may add that the problem only started when I connected my Keyboard to a USB slot. It wasn't showing me the error before. I own a MSI

Pictures of the USB ports and the motherboard 

http://imgur.com/a/kck64

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Why didn't you install the plate that snaps into the case where the rear ports on the motherboard come out?

What USB slot did you use?  (i.e. front or rear, USB 2 or 3?)

#3 kristiansp5

kristiansp5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

Why didn't you install the plate that snaps into the case where the rear ports on the motherboard come out?

What USB slot did you use?  (i.e. front or rear, USB 2 or 3?)

Oh I had it installed but I removed it as I read that the plate could be the thing causing the problem

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Did you use standouts when putting the mainboard in? Instructions with pictures here: http://www.building-a-gaming-computer.com/installing-a-motherboard.html

One of your USB ports is likely shorting or has a problem. It could be the mainboard as well but for now visually inspect all usb ports on the computer for damage or bent/shorting pins. Also inspect all of the mainboard usb headers for bent shorting pins, they are easy to bump, they are on the bottom near where your sata connections are.

Edited by zingo156, 29 July 2014 - 07:49 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 kristiansp5

kristiansp5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Did you use standouts when putting the mainboard in? Instructions with pictures here: http://www.building-a-gaming-computer.com/installing-a-motherboard.html

One of your USB ports is likely shorting or has a problem. It could be the mainboard as well but for now visually inspect all usb ports on the computer for damage or bent/shorting pins. Also inspect all of the mainboard usb headers for bent shorting pins, they are easy to bump, they are on the bottom near where your sata connections are.

I did not use any standouts as I only got 3 but my motherboard needed 4. All the USB ports look fine to me and so do the headers 

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

You absolutely need to use standouts, you can not screw the motherboard directly into the case. The solder joints on the bottom of the motherboard will short to the case if you do not use the standouts. This is very likely the cause. Remove the motherboard from the case and build the system on a non conductive surface such as a wooden table. This is the so called bench test. You will have to test everything as damage may have been done if indeed the motherboard was shorting to the case.

Edited by zingo156, 29 July 2014 - 08:29 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

On my first build when I was 12, I was not going to use standouts either because I didn't have them. Luckily the case that I had, one of the standouts was built in, you could not remove it, it was welded to the case. The board wouldn't sit right without other standouts installed. I decided to find standouts before building the system, I went to a pc shop, while I was there I asked some questions and learned exactly why the standouts were required, after a long explanation I bought standouts and put them in. I will just simply say that they are required no ifs ands or buts... UNLESS you happen to have a case that already has them built in.

First builds are a great learning experience, I see people doing very strange things. Not using standouts is quite common with first builds and unfortunately sometimes causes a fried mainboard, you may get lucky. Just don't continue to use it without standouts.

Edited by zingo156, 29 July 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#8 kristiansp5

kristiansp5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

Ok I fixed the problem. Lucky the standoffs weren't the problem. I have a MSI motherboard and they basically have these little plastic things with metal inside of them plugged onto a few pins. Since it was my first build I thought that's where the USB front header goes into so I removed the little plastic thing. As it turns out this was the thing that regulates the amount of power that is sent to the USB and the metal inside of the plastic thing does that. I put it back up and right now I am typing this from my new PC :)

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Glad to hear you solved the issue. I would still advise you to use standouts if the case requires them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users