Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network connection issues on desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SciChronic

SciChronic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

running a win7 desktop on some rather old hardware (mobo still runs DDR2), and i've been having trouble connecting to the internet through wifi with it (currently posting with my laptop). using a wireless connection wont work, as the port for the cat5 cable was somehow damaged during a move and no longer responds.

i've been getting a "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network" message, so i tried recreating the connection the "Manage network connections" on the control panel by deleting the network, and recreating it, but when i type in the WPA2 AES key, it says they do not match. The thing is i know for a fact that the key is correct, since it is the sam key used on the laptop i'm using to type this post.

i'm a little lost on how to try an fix this..

Update: i'm able to get the desktop to connect when i press the router's WPS button, but the connection feels forced and weak. the connection is spotty which is a major problem for me. even when i look at my available connections, the one i'm connected to still says "The setting saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network."

update2: i'm using an add-on wireless network card thats connected to the PCI slot on my mobo that uses 801.11n wifi i believe.

Edited by SciChronic, 28 July 2014 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Has it ever worked?  There is a possibility that the card does not support WPA2 and that is why you are having the issue.

#3 SciChronic

SciChronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

the card does work, i've been using it at the dorms for 2 years, its just at this location where it doesn't work properly.

Edited by SciChronic, 28 July 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Have you used WPA2 with that card?  Maybe try backing down to WPA and see if you can get it working.  With a wireless network you have to support the best security for the worst device you have.  I bought my wife a USB wireless adapter for her old machine so I wouldn't have to use WEP.

#5 SciChronic

SciChronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

using WPA has the same result.

the weirdest part is that this problem only occurred after i came back from the dorms. I had the desktop here when the internet was activated, and it worked perfectly fine, it was only after i took the pc to uni and came back for the summer that it has been like this.

#6 techgeek847

techgeek847

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Hello,

Try to reset your router to default settings andsetup it again 

It might help!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users