Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built-in laptop wireless card will not link up to "all-in-one" modems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

I have had this computer since 2008, and for the last 3 years or so, I have been unable to connect to "all in one modems" (with the exception of one, at a friend's house), at my friend's houses. By all in ones, I mean the modems that Centurylink and Comcast (and probably other internet services) give out standard to all their Internet customers that has the modem AND router together in one box.

I go in and add the network through the available wireless networks utility on the taskbar, and put in the security key for the network, and the icon says "Identifying...", then eventually says Unidentified network, and that my connection is Local only.  I've tried everything: having my friends reset their modems, resetting my network card and adapter, getting new IP settings, etc, and NOTHING works. Have even tried updating the driver on my network adapter, which doesn't work because it tells me I have the most updated driver for it (even though the driver is from 2008).

What I've come to gather that it has to do with is that the all-in-ones they use a newer combined security/encryption type of TKIP+AES. When I go to my encryption settings for any given wireless network, that isn't a selection i'm given, which I'm assuming means that my network adapter doesn't support that type of encryption therefore can't interface with it and doesn't allow the connection.

Am I right or wrong about that? has anyone had this problem and somehow got it fixed or found a way around it? How?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

It could very well be your adapter. TPIK can be used for WPA2 for backward compatibility with WPA but should AES. TPIK is not as secure as AES and is obsolete IMHO. It's possible the adapter on your computer does not support WPA2. Have you tried updating the driver for your wireless adapter? What is the make and model of the laptop?

You could also get a USB wireless adapter. This would be the best option if you can't get the laptop to connect after a driver update.

There is also the possiblity the laptop is having a hard time getting a DHCP address. This was addressed with a Microsoft Fixit.

Edit:

Here is a good explanation on the TPIK+AES option available at the router.

Edit Edit: I would hazard a guess that these new modem/routers are using WPA2 using AES and not mixed mode.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 July 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#3 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

It could very well be your adapter. TPIK can be used for WPA2 for backward compatibility with WPA but should AES. TPIK is not as secure as AES and is obsolete IMHO. It's possible the adapter on your computer does not support WPA2. Have you tried updating the driver for your wireless adapter? What is the make and model of the laptop?

You could also get a USB wireless adapter. This would be the best option if you can't get the laptop to connect after a driver update.

There is also the possiblity the laptop is having a hard time getting a DHCP address. This was addressed with a Microsoft Fixit.

Edit:

Here is a good explanation on the TPIK+AES option available at the router.

Edit Edit: I would hazard a guess that these new modem/routers are using WPA2 using AES and not mixed mode.

Re: the wireless USB adapter, I already tried that at my friend's house (where I've had issues the most recently), and it didn't work. And as I already said in the post, I already tried updating my adapter, and that also didn't work.

I haven't tried messing with the DHCP thing. I'll try that and see if that does anything and then post it in reply to your post.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

You should have your friend check his router on what encryption and security protocol the modem/router is using and then manually check the settings of your adapter in Vista. See if your adapter supports WPA2 in the dropdown box of step 6.

Did you update the driver from the computer manufacturers site or by finding the chipset the wireless adapter uses? Sometimes you can get a later driver from the maker of the chipset. Go to Device Manager, right click the wireless adapter, select properties. In the Details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

But, try the fixit first and see if that helps.

#5 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

You should have your friend check his router on what encryption and security protocol the modem/router is using and then manually check the settings of your adapter in Vista. See if your adapter supports WPA2 in the dropdown box of step 6.

Did you update the driver from the computer manufacturers site or by finding the chipset the wireless adapter uses? Sometimes you can get a later driver from the maker of the chipset. Go to Device Manager, right click the wireless adapter, select properties. In the Details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

But, try the fixit first and see if that helps.

Here's the info as you requested:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_137A103C&REV_01

Edited by thisdarncomputer, 28 July 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

It's an Atheros chipset but it's listing is kind of bizarre on pcidatabase.com. It lists it as an Atheros chipset used by Intel but I think this is a AR5006X chipset by looking through the inf listings. Is the OS 32bit or 64bit. I will look more thoroughly and post back tomorrow but you should try the fixit first before trying the drive update.

#7 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

It's an Atheros chipset but it's listing is kind of bizarre on pcidatabase.com. It lists it as an Atheros chipset used by Intel but I think this is a AR5006X chipset by looking through the inf listings. Is the OS 32bit or 64bit. I will look more thoroughly and post back tomorrow but you should try the fixit first before trying the drive update.

My windows is 32 bit. Thanks for doing the research. I've tried the fixit and will tell you soon if it worked or not (since I have an all in one! :))

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

What is the make and model of the all-in-one? In Device Manager, clicking on the the plus sign next to network adapters, what is the name shown for the wireless adapter? Thanks

#9 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

What is the make and model of the all-in-one? In Device Manager, clicking on the the plus sign next to network adapters, what is the name shown for the wireless adapter? Thanks

The all-in-one is from Centurylink (from the Centurylink phone company, my local phone company). The make and model is Zyxel PK5001Z.   Keep in mind though, I have this issue with ALL all-in-ones, from either Centurylink or Comcast. It's not just this particular make and model.

Here's the info on the wireless adapter: Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter. That is exactly how it lists it.

Edited by thisdarncomputer, 29 July 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Sorry for the confusion on my part. From your last post I thought you had an all-in-one computer. What is the make and model of the computer that does not connect? And, when you are in Device Manager, what is the listing shown for the wireless adapter under Network Adapters? I just want to confirm it's listed as an Atheros.

Have you tried the fixit I linked to?

#11 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Sorry for the confusion on my part. From your last post I thought you had an all-in-one computer. What is the make and model of the computer that does not connect? And, when you are in Device Manager, what is the listing shown for the wireless adapter under Network Adapters? I just want to confirm it's listed as an Atheros.

Have you tried the fixit I linked to?

Make and model of computer: Compaq Presario CQ50 139-WM (kaptop). Bought it in 2008.

Yes the listing for the wireless adapter is Atheros. It's listed exactly as I typed it in my last entry.

Yes I tried the fixit link and the problem still exists (unless I did something wrong in the process of trying to re-setup the connection which is possible).

#12 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I just found a page that purports to have a very recent driver from 2012, for my wireless card. Can you take a look at it and see if it seems legit?   It's asking me to put in my email address so it can email a link for me to click on to start the download. :\

http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/driver/detail.asp?driver=Atheros~AR5007~802.11b/g~WiFi~Adapter.html

Edited by thisdarncomputer, 29 July 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#13 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I have decided to just go for it and download the driver. I will apply it and see if it works ( THEN do a virus scan afterwards!!! LOL)

I will let you know if it solves the issue.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

The latest I could find was from 2010 from here.

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=21&system=3

#15 thisdarncomputer

thisdarncomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

The latest I could find was from 2010 from here.

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=21&system=3

I saw that also but chose not to click on it since it seemed foreign.

Well, good news! The driver I downloaded solved the problem! I am connected over the wireless connection right now! And that's with WPA-2 Personal (TKIP) selected, and a safe strong password!  

So my home all-in-one is conquered! NOW to see if it works on all my friend's all in ones! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users