Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Jack

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisjackal

chrisjackal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446946/laptop-infamous-plugged-in-not-charging/ - Hamluis.

Charging problem with Dell PA-21 family ac adapter. Power jack broken center pin not connected. Here's what I found and resoldered.

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2014 - 06:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chrisjackal

chrisjackal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

How the heck do I put pics on this forum

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Click the More Reply Options button, this will reveal the option to attach items.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html

Louis

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

I read through the above posted thread, it seems you were able to charge after using the old power adapter? Are you still having issues? In my experience dell computers are one of the more picky laptops in reguards to OEM power adapters and batteries.

You can check in the bios if the power adapter is recognized or not. Right after powering on the laptop start tapping F2 repeatedly until you get to the bios screen. Use your arrow keys to highlight the power options and in that screen you should see if the battery is recognized (I suspect it will be since you mentioned it did charge before), and then if the power adapter is recognized. If the power adapter is recognized it will say something like 65w or 90w which is the wattage of the power adapter. If you see power adapter "not recognzied" you either have a bad power adapter or a bad jack in the laptop.

The first step before taking the computer apart is to try with a new or known good power adapter (one that works in another computer), if that adapter is still not recognized you likely have a problem with the jack built into the machine. You can visually insepct the jack to see if there is any obvious damage to the center pin plug this is what carries the signal for the computer to either recognize the adapter or not. If the adapter is not recognized, the computer will run from the power adapter (if the other connections are ok) but will not charge the battery. This is a saftey feature to prevent overcharging and potential fires.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users