Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Bar Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spriteduster496

Spriteduster496

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

I just recently bought an HP Envy 15t (Windows 8.1; my first windows 8 machine) to be my portable video editing rig. Because of the memory, processor, and video card needed for fast and fluid HD video editing, it also can serve as a pretty reliable gaming machine. I had downloaded a few games that were free on steam and they all run fine. I also like to skype some friends while I play alone and obviously when I play with them. I use the sound mixer located on the task bar to adjust the game volume and skype volumes separately but I have a problem when I play the games in fullscreen mode because I don't know how to bring up the task bar to adjust volumes when I'm in game. Sometimes the menus of games are a lot quieter than when playing so I wanted to turn them down with the sound mixer. How I've been doing this is to hit the windows key, click the desktop app to get back to the desktop to access the task bar, adjust the volumes and then click back into the game and make it fullscreen once again. The thing is I know it's hard on the video card suddenly jumping to the start screen an then jumping back again into game. I just wanted to know if there are hot keys to bring up the task bar, do I just click on the bottom of the screen a few times, or is there something else? I've tried the clicking at the bottom of the screen but it didn't work, so is there a specific spot where to click or hover like how to bring up the charms bar? Any help would be great. Its not a dire situation because I don't game often but when I do it gets annoying and I worry that I'll over work the video card exiting and opening that rapidly. Thanks.

Edited by Spriteduster496, 28 July 2014 - 06:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

I just recently bought an HP Envy 15t to be my portable video editing rig. Because of the memory, processor, and video card needed for fast and fluid HD video editing, it also can serve as a pretty reliable gaming machine. I had downloaded a few games that were free on steam and they all run fine. I also like to skype some friends

And you need help with?

:welcome:  To BC

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Spriteduster496

Spriteduster496
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

I accidentally submitted the post before I was done. Oops.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

I can understand how having to leave a game to adjust volume levels would be annoying, and I can't put forward a solution, but I don't think you have to worry about your video card suffering. After all, it's job is to process whatever information the CPU throws at it and provide a video output. Switching from a game to the desktop is no more stressful than cutting from one scene to another in a game or while watching a video. All the pixcels on the screen are having different values written to them at the same time.

Somebody else may come up with an answer on how to adjust volume without leaving the game, but I don't think you need to worry about your video card..

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Spriteduster496

Spriteduster496
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Ok thank you! I just wanted to be sure. That makes sense once you explained it. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users