Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Turn Tea Timer Off ?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:41 PM

Howdy,

I have read recent posts and have concluded that Spybot- Tea Timer is an unnecessary drain. True ??

What the heck is Tea Timer anyway ??

Where I have drawn my conclusions since I don't know what the heck it is, is another story. Ignorance comes to mind. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Dennis :flowers:

EDITS: spilt coffee on keyboard, things are sticky

Edited by jgweed, 04 June 2006 - 08:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:53 PM

Tea Timer is Spybot's mock real-time monitoring system. It all depends on the security level and prefence of your choice. Personally, with all of the security measures on my computer, Tea Timer is a nuissance; however, that's not the case for all computers. A list of anti-malware software and real-time protection on your computer would be nice. If no other anti-spyware monitoring is running, then Tea Timer might not be such a bad idea to keep.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:54 PM

Tools
What is the Resident TeaTimer?

The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
- automatically kill the process
- or generally allow the process to run There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change. As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.

Why does Resident TeaTimer terminate the application before asking?

Because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they cost from the first second they've connected. In order to protect you, these have to be terminated at the moment they appear before they can connect at all.

Why is the TeaTimer called "TeaTimer"?

As we used to forget our tea, when we let it brew, we built a small tool with a system tray icon to remind us. We called this tool "TeaTimer". When we started to develop the Resident tool for Spybot-S&D, we also needed a system tray icon for this. As we do not like having too many icons in the system tray, we decided to put both tools together and kept the name "TeaTimer". The next version of the Resident tool will also have the functions of the original "TeaTimer".

You can find the Resident TeaTimer in the tools section.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:03 PM

Tools
What is the Resident TeaTimer?

The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
- automatically kill the process
- or generally allow the process to run There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change. As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.

Why does Resident TeaTimer terminate the application before asking?

Because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they cost from the first second they've connected. In order to protect you, these have to be terminated at the moment they appear before they can connect at all.

Why is the TeaTimer called "TeaTimer"?

As we used to forget our tea, when we let it brew, we built a small tool with a system tray icon to remind us. We called this tool "TeaTimer". When we started to develop the Resident tool for Spybot-S&D, we also needed a system tray icon for this. As we do not like having too many icons in the system tray, we decided to put both tools together and kept the name "TeaTimer". The next version of the Resident tool will also have the functions of the original "TeaTimer".

You can find the Resident TeaTimer in the tools section.

Howdy,
Thanks for the replies Elendil and buddy215.

I will keep it running as I do not feel that in my particular situation that I would notice to much of a drain. I use this computer just for fun.

Thanks Again for your replies,
Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 01 June 2006 - 04:12 PM.

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:21 PM

No problem; however, if Spybot S&D is your only protection, regardless of your PC containg extremely important data or not, then I recommend you add a few more powerful, free tools to your security inventory. To begin with, Ad-Aware SE Free is considered Spybot's sibling in anti-malware and should be used in conjunction with Spybot. Another extremely comprehensive tool is Ewido Anti-Malware. Currently, it's being maintained by Grisoft (makers of AVG) which means that its free version will continue to strive just as well as its paid version. Also, prevention is better than a cure which is why I recommend Spyware Blaster & Spyware Guard.

Ad-Aware SE can be downloaded here: http://www.lavasoft.de/english/default.shtml
Ewido can be downloaded here: http://www.ewido.net
Spyware Blaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
Spyware Guard: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

If you have any more questions, problems, etc. don't hesitate to ask because we all have our things to learn! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

Howdy,
These are the programs that I currently have installed on my computer.

Ad-Aware SE, SpyBot S&D, SpyBlaster, SpyWareGuard, Nortin Anti Virus, Yahoo Anti-Spy, MSU- Blaster and Windows Defender.

Should I add more, change up, or go with what I have ??

Thanks for your TIME,

#7 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

Dennis to be honest, you look pretty kitted up as it is and protected so i wouldnt worry about downloading anything else.
Perhaps you should download ewido anti-malware just so that you have it. Its a strong piece of software and easy to use,i wouldnt be without it.

http://www.ewido.net

and the only other thing i suggest if you dont have one already is to download a firewall.The one which comes with Windows is not that great,it only does half the job a firewall should do.

I suggest downloading either Sygate or Outpost,but only one. For more info on firewalls,check this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-and-using-firewalls/

You will be near enough as safe as you can be after that,but anymore problems,then just ask!

Happy surfing :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

As long as you have a firewall, and as long as you are happy using the applications you listed, I would advise staying with those. Ad-Aware and Spybot are perhaps the best and most often used of the anti-sypware applications, and you have backed these up with others. Keep them updated, and scan regularly. One of the best defences is not a programme, but just your being cautious and careful about where you browse and what you click on.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I updated and scanned my pc with all the programs I listed above. Only a few tracking cookies came up, caught by Ad-Aware. I then downloaded ewido and ran a full system scan. Ewido found an additional 100 infected files. All were tracking cookies.

I realize this may sound silly (please consider the source, ME), but I assumed that Windows Defender is my firewall ??? My cable provider is Cox cable and my service comes with a firewall built in, which again I thought was Windows Defender.

If that is not accurate, where would I look to find out what I have?

Thank You for your time.

#10 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:43 AM

Hi Dennis

Those extra tracking cookies that ewido found shows why its a great programme to have,just make sure you update everytime you scan your system. The cookies themselves are not a major issue and you dont need to worry about them.On the odd occassion, it wont delete the cookies, and if you find this,then just let me know but all in all i think you will be fine.

Windows Defender is not a firewall,it runs in the back ground stopping nasties from getting onto your system,but a firewall does so much more as my previous link explains.

To find out which firewall you are using do this: Go to Control panel, then Security Centre and use the little drop down arrow next to 'Firewall', this will tell you what firewall you are using and if it is currently on. :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#11 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:05 AM

Thanks graveangel.

I checked and it is the Windows firewall that most people say to replace. I will look into that right now.
I hope I don't blow this thing up trying to replace it. :thumbsup:

Dennis :flowers:

#12 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:28 AM

Im sure you will be fine,just make sure you turn your windows firewall off once you have installed your new one and it is running. It might be safer to download the new firewall,un-plug your network cable from your pc,turn off the windows firewall and then install the new one.Once it is running ok,re-connect the cable and access the internet. :thumbsup:

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

Well I guess my 2 cents pale compared to all the useful information lent here.
I have Spybot, Defender and SpywareGuard all running active. From time to time each one will pick on malware the others missed. As stated in other posts you need all of these different application because they all approach the problem from a different direction.
As far as taxing your computer I am running a P-III 500 768mb of RAM. With the security software I run, I see little problems. If I may suggest you change from Norton to a lighter antivirus such as AVG, Avast, BitDefender, or AntiVir. Norton has a reputation for being a bit heavy on resources.

I have
AVG Free
Spybot
Spyguard
Defender
Blaster
Ad-Aware
SyGate 5.6

Ewido
and may be a dozen or so online scan plugins load. I run defender, spybot, and spywareguard all in active mode. With all respect do, if you can run it a it does not cause a conflict why would you not.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

Also in regards to tracking cookies, you can use a nifty and powerful little tool, the CCleaner, to clean your computer of all unnecesary junk.

CCleaner download - http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp once there you can download from FileHippo or another mirror.

I use this tool, love it, and can't live without it. On a daily basis, it clears out at 20MB of junk to keep my computer running at top notch (Recently, I've fell in love with its Issue Scanner/Analysis). The CCleaner can clear out all of your cookies (it's set this way by default), so you won't have to worry about them anymore.
Stanford '14

#15 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

Howdy acklan.

My subscription with Norton is up in 30 days and I was planning on changing then. I may just go ahead and do it now.

Thanks,

PS: I like when you add your 2 cents, you have never steered me wrong yet !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users